DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    S-10 front springs.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S-10 front springs.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Swapping a SBC into a 95 S-10 that had the 4 cyl engine (2.5). Are these springs OK or is there a better alternative? Rebuilding the entire front suspension so is the time to change if warranted.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I suggest reinstalling the factory spring as is to see what you have in ref to ride height.

Also, after many years of builds and experiments, I have the best results and service life from factory or Moog factory replacement springs, cut as needed for ride height.

In your example, if I did not have a spring and was buying new, I would buy the spring you have. That is to say, I buy the factory spring that is cataloged as the smallest engine, no a/c, application. Depending, a 1/2 coil - 1 coil cut is typical.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Moog four cylinder springs

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
My 93 S10 sits at almost exactly the same ride height with the 6.0 LS as it did with the 4 cylinder. I was hoping it would be a little lower. If your SBC has aluminum heads, it should work fine.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
By tha way Bill, that wheelie ridding Super 10 has a GZ vacuum system.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In addition to several other of my builds equipped the GZ system.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I don't know what springs are in the front of my S-10 w/ SBC, as the V8 conversion was already done when I bought the truck.

It would seem that maybe you don't even need to change the springs. But I had read somewhere that installing the springs from an extended-cab S10 can be done, if need be.

I looked through my copy of the book "Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion Manual" by Mike Knell, and cannot seem to find any reference to changing the front springs.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
By tha way Bill, that wheelie ridding Super 10 has a GZ vacuum system.

Nice!

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Moroso Trick Springs for a G Body, especially if you need the suspension to work for smaller tire.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would try the factory 4 cylinder springs first. What you want is a soft spring that will extend on acceleration. From my experience the Moroso trick springs are way too stiff and you have to cut them down too much. When I put them in my Camaro years ago it looked like a four wheel drive car. The front shocks were fully extended sitting static. I like it to sit low in the front then use the shocks to control the rise and wheelies.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Trick front springs have some of the lowest spring rates your going to find. Currently I have the softest spring rate on our S10. With an all aluminum LS and nothing out front the springs are still compressed slightly.

The lighter Moroso Trick springs are not stiff by any means, you may want a coil cut off of them if needed though. With a iron block and front mount radiator you should be about perfect with the 212 lb/in spring rate.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Additional info. The engine is a 383 stroker, iron block, aluminum heads. Have changed over from a power steering gear to a manual gear box. Changed to manual brakes. Trying to get as much weight off the front end as possible. Ride height is critical ergo the spring question. What shock would be advisable to control lift and rebound? Thanks for all the great feed back. Coming out of a RED this suspension stuff is all new to me.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A premium quality, double adjustable shock is vital for the best control. I like and buy from Randy Manns, "Fast Shocks" He buys AFCO components direct, in bulk, and tailors the shock build to your needs.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Larry Woodfin, GRAZIE