DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission cooling circuit pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission cooling circuit pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted
Any one seen 200 lbs on this circuit

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Hooked my pressure sensor to the cooling line once by accident last year. Saw a momentary spike to 205 after the shift.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodney Pryor,

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
a friend has one that is 200 at idle on return side of cooler any thoughts

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Not a transmission guy but is there any restriction in the transmission lines or cooler that might cause the pressure increase?

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
he changed valve body and pressure is same.hasn't checked cooler yet

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine is 205 @ 1700.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks mike and bob,i wonder of an issue he has at 200.i know most dont monitor this circuit so many of us dont know what our pressure is ,and me also

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I started monitoring money after Greg from FTI recommended it. Seeing variance could indicate issues. Mine shows 45 psi at idle, and peaks at 145 just prior to the stall of the converter.

Never would have though that much pressure was in the cooler circuit. 200 seems crazy.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Does the transmission get hot just idling in park or neutral?

Quick disconnect cooler line fittings?

What input shaft and pump/stator tube, could be a mismatch?

Is the feed slot for high gear centered on the two sealing rings on the backside of the pump?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
1 not sure all new components
2 will check
3 all new build from bte,not their conv
4 not sure
good info for things to check thanks

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest to try a different converter first being it's a new BTE build. They've built a few PG's, know what they're doing.

I've seen a converter cause this. Transmission got hot sitting still idling. Don't know if ya'll have a temp guage for the transmission but that's the indicator.

You're welcome,,,,,,,,, good luck.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
he changed valve body and pressure is same.hasn't checked cooler yet
What is the line pressure @ 2,000 rpms in gear?

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
We had someone in a dragster the other week blow a line off at the hammer, ran it straight down the track and the guy at the ticket shack said it looked like a jet boat with the spray coming out of it. That was 2 hours of downtime.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
changed tranny,290 line@68 cooler,same convertor.tranny going back to bte.not what is going on ,yet

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
changed tranny,290 line@68 cooler,same convertor.tranny going back to bte.not what is going on ,yet

In that case it's a fluke the bushing that acts as a ring in the stator tube slid in the tube and is covering or partially covering the cooler orifice in the tube. You know cooler pressures checked good before it left BTE. It's a fluke the bushing slid in the tube.

68 sounds good. We put over 100 laps with a F3r on a big chief 632 2500-3000hp with 250 psi line pressure. When it got jacked up around 290 we couldn't keep a band in it pin bias.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In that case it's a fluke the bushing that acts as a ring in the stator tube slid in the tube and is covering or partially covering the cooler orifice in the tube. You know cooler pressures checked good before it left BTE. It's a fluke the bushing slid in the tube.

68 sounds good. We put over 100 laps with a F3r on a big chief 632 2500-3000hp with 250 psi line pressure. When it got jacked up around 290 we couldn't keep a band in it pin bias.

its going back for inspection now.
i use sonnax bias control,works great but i find that bands are nit strong enough and roll on the ends .we are lowering presure.at 265 now i think.next freshen will tell

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks for input from all

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It'll behoove you to be familiar with placement and installation of the bushings that act as rings in the tube 48 spline or 1" ringless high HP. I'm sure BTE will lend a hand in this regard.

Good Luck!