DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Super sucker carb spacer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super sucker carb spacer
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Does anyone make a 2@ thick 4500super sucker with 2” throttle bores. I just purchased one and it has 2.375 bores and overlaps my intake manifold.
Thanks

Posts: 46 | Location: Lubbock TX | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One has to ask, what size are your Venturis.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Throttle bores in the carb are 2”

Posts: 46 | Location: Lubbock TX | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Maybe I've answered my own question. Apparently there are carb spacers with 2" carb bores and 2.4 bores. I'm thinking mine was marked and boxed wrong.

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I have one that is 1-3/4” and the holes measure a little over 2” for sale on Facebook drag race results for sale

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
APD makes their Black Widow Spacer with different size bores.

SL...

Posts: 2106 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I think I have it worked out with HVH sending the correct one

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Was looking at them Did anyone do a test on track with one and and without back to back runs was there an different

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Would love to hear if you pick up any ET or mph back to back.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have tried every configuration of spacer...open, 4 hole, tapered/blended/super sucker, every material...wood, phenolic, aluminum, from most every manufacturer...HVH, Canton, Wilson, Stinnett, on every engine I've owed, with every carb... 4150, 4500 and every manifold over 30 years and I ain't ever seen .01 in ET or .1 mph. None of them are worth anything on the time slip. Now if you want to use it as a heat sink to isolate your carb from engine heat, ok but to buy one looking for an ET/MPH improvement, my advice is don't waste your $.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I am with 1320racer on this spacer, Open hole, 4 hole spacer, 1", 2" really saw very little, but that was a long time ago and heads were not as they are now. And neither are intakes. Havent messed with spacers in 20 years. David Dean did you get your spacer figured out? What was the E.T difference or MPH. Did it change converter stahl or reaction time. Did it change consistancy? You might not have had a chance to try yet. Keep us posted as to your on track results.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I see no difference going from a spacer to my T-stop on my stuff. can swap between both and not change the dial in.

ep-that being said the rear-morson sheer spacer is worth .3 and 14 mph in the 1/8
or Colorodo racer has some configurations that he has tried.

Posts: 761 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You can lead the horse to water but you can't make em drink.

Five second all steel factory condition 3200 lb Nova SS, out of the box Brodix T1 heads 10 x 28 bias cheater slick.

Home brew

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Carb spacers have their place but unless something else is wrong in the combo they won't make large performance gains. Small carbs with small plenums, especially on larger motors can cause issues, with this combo air and fuel are moving too fast to make a smooth turn from the carb into the runners and the air/fuel bounces off the plenum floor, raising the carb with an open spacer increases the height of the plenum and allows the air/fuel to make the turn, in this case you could see a reasonable performance gain. For most it's a trial and error deal to find the best one for each application. It all goes back to looking at the entire picture, fix or improve a number of things and the small gains add up!

For those on the carb market, you may want to consider a Twin Blade carb! This design eliminates the issues created by a 4 barrel design, mainly the dead air space in the middle of the 4 barrels. Then open carb spacers really just adjust the plenum size to match the motor's needs!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I agree with some here I would not expect much if any ET gains from a spacer. The ones I tried did not do anything, there may be a combination that it helps but would not count on it and certainly would not spend a bunch of money on it.

We are racers we do try things to improve our performance. Some work some do not. If there is someone who has proven performance gains I would like to see it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Andy Beal - Beal Racing Engines - is making custom carb spacers.

Posts: 142 | Location: Ashland,Va | Registered: March 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I haven't tested spacers much, but I have tested carbs. I ran 850 (on upside down 2" 4500 adapter), 950hp (on same), and 1050 dominator (on 1" open spacer) on the same day and all ran within .02. That said, I seriously doubt a spacer is going to make much difference unless something is else is amiss.

I also did the bridgeport open up the plenum on my 2970 intake and it too was worth less than I could measure from week to week. Basically a waste of my time and intake gaskets.

All that said, I'm 95% sure my heads are the limiting factor. Nothing seems to make any difference on this combo - increasing stall speed, carb size, 1.6 rockers on intake, etc.

It's consistent so I just keep racing it!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
I seriously doubt a spacer is going to make much difference unless something is else is amiss.

^^^^ THIS. A spacer can act as a band-aid and yield some improvement if your combo is not ideal. If your setup is close to optimal, it won't help one bit. Other than maybe a heat insulator, like Ed mentioned.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post