DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Down track issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down track issues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted
Last night my car developed an issue down track. 2nd round of elims, it backfired twice through the exhaust, but I still got the win. Checked all rocker arms between rounds and they all looked good. Decided to run it 3rd round and if anything felt wrong, I'd abort the run. This time, it cut off for a split second like someone turned the key off and back on, got the win again. 4th round, it did the same thing twice so I aborted the run and took the loss. It seems like an ignition issue but I don't want to throw parts at it hoping to fix it. My setup is simple. MSD 6al2 (new this past winter) with an hvc coil. Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would ckeck the plugs and plug wires first.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Master shutoff.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If the car sit outside through rain then water tends to get inside and cause corrosion. Been there done that.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Try a different ignition switch.

I posted this in a different thread a few days ago.

quote:
Mine wasn't as bad, just a random miss that slowed the car down .03. It wasn't a big deal, if it skipped I either didn't need to kill .03 or I would spray a little (depends on how I was dialed). I had (over)100% spares so I changed EVERYTHING, 1 part at a time, including the engine. Finally one day my car wouldn't start. I found no voltage from the ignition switch. I ran a wire from the water pump switch to the ign box. Car started and miss was gone. This was with a 7AL2, ~20 years ago.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clint. The car sits in a trailer, never gets wet but I did consider the master cutoff. I'll take a look at the plug wires today, I don't like how they are run,they could be chafed. I know in my post I mentioned it felt like that key was turned off and back on but this car doesn't have a key, it goes through an ARC8000 panel but I'll inspect the ignition wire from the panel. I also have a spare 6al somewhere, if all else fails, I'll put that on and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a issue years ago, and it was the battery. Battery was low on water, and I swapped it out after the I got lucky, in that round. It was 30 years ago before AGM, or lithium batteries

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Could the 6AL box be getting too warm? Is it mounted in the engine compartment?

I've had a somewhat similar issue with my 6AL, and plan to move it to the driver's compartment.

But mine quit once in the staging lanes, but I was able to restart the truck right away. Since then I put an emergency by-pass around the key switch.

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by threepedals:
Had a issue years ago, and it was the battery. Battery was low on water, and I swapped it out after the I got lucky, in that round. It was 30 years ago before AGM, or lithium batteries

I run a 16V XS battery, about a year old. I do have a spare I can try if it comes to that.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Could the 6AL box be getting too warm? Is it mounted in the engine compartment?

I've had a somewhat similar issue with my 6AL, and plan to move it to the driver's compartment.

But mine quit once in the staging lanes, but I was able to restart the truck right away. Since then I put an emergency by-pass around the key switch.

My box is in the passenger compartment for that reason.

DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a weak ground or master switch. Do you ground box to battery?

I have two separate grounds from my battery for that reason, and two grounds to the ignition from different sources.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
Sounds like a weak ground or master switch. Do you ground box to battery?

I have two separate grounds from my battery for that reason, and two grounds to the ignition from different sources.

I think you're right. While checking lash today, my neighbor noticed a nut missing off of a bulkhead connection for a ground distribution block in the engine compartment. The coil ground is connected to that distribution block. The wire connected to bulkhead fitting would spark when I bumped the motor over. I'll get a new nut and do some testing this week.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 3 years on a 6AL2 without any problems so far. Mounted it inside away from the heat.

Posts: 1564 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Im with Don on this one. Sounds like a grounding issue. Check them all.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue one time and it turned out to be a loose wire on ignition switch. I also had a 7AL-2 box go bad that did a lot of popping and banging. I have tore up some stuff. Lol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What Curly said

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
RB72, you have a HVC coil -NOT- a HVCII coil right??? HVCII coil's are known to have shorting issues....Tech West found mine.

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post