DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    615 SR20 or 632 12 Degree
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

615 SR20 or 632 12 Degree
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am considering Building a new engine. I am looking for a high MPH SC combination. I was leaning towards a 632 with 12 degree heads but it was suggested to me to look at a 615 with SR20 heads. I am nor looking to save money but I don't want to waste money either. I am looking for recommendations for either combinations.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No contest, spreadport head.

Who’s building the engine?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Charlie Bellotti. He has been building my motors for as long as I have been racing.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
SR-20 for sure...get in touch with Scott or KB at PAR they got a new combination with that 615...I’ve got both the extra weight you gain with a spreadport just aint worth it in my opinion and oh yeah I got both a 655 9 degree and a 632 SR20....for bracket racing SR20 for sure....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
The 615 SR20 built correctly can, will, and often does run right beside the spreadport motors. The spreadport motor may make a little more power but will outweigh the SR20 motor. I prefer the lighter SR20 set up. Just preference, I own and race both set ups...one 598 SR20, and one 632 spreadport. They both have run 4.4's...Spanky just redid the 598 SR20 and picked it up 70 hp with cam and carb change. Think it may be upper 30's at the 1/8 now, but will find out in about 5 weeks at the southern big buck nats.

This thread can be an informative if derailment is avoided.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a JA Performance built 632 SR20, no big cam, easy on springs and repeats like a clock. Makes real good power. Charlie is good people.

Posts: 454 | Location: Hopewell Junction, NY | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The OP stated he wanted a “high mph SC combination” and I have yet to see with my own eyes an Sr20 headed 600+ bbc run as much mph as a spread portheaded 600+ bbc in similar weight dragsters competing in super comp here in division 1.

Further, as I stated in another thread, there are currently only 3 cars in the division that run better mph than my car in SC, two of them are sr20 engines and they run 1-1.5 mph faster and the other is a spread port engine that runs 2+mph faster.

Last, if I lived on Long Island, James Antoneli would be building my super comp engine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
James Antonette,,JA Race Engines

Posts: 19 | Location: florida | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
what do the cars weigh ? it seems to me the conv does not make the peak torque a spread will .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My car weighs 1975 lbs. going down the track, heavier than the 3 cars with faster mph

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
what does it et in 1/4

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Typical ETs in July/August at Numidia is 7.31 - 7.33. Best at Numidia to date is 7.23

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My 9 degree might be 2 mph better...still not worth the trade off...and that’s with the older cam in my Sr20...I’m telling you they got these Sr20 figured out....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
And I’m telling you if you want the fastest mph in super comp, your best shot at owning it is a spread port engine built by the right guy.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
I have owned two 632 SR20 engines that I ran in Super Comp. Those combos were as consistent as I could have ever wanted and easy on parts. No matter what people are saying, apples to apples, if you're buying a good, brand new set of reputable heads, the 9-12 degree stuff will have a few more mph. Granted, I outran more 12-18 degree combos than I could keep track of but those were older, outdated versions of the heads out there on the market today.

I consistently ran 183-185 on the stop and some of the newer 9-12 degree stuff is in the 187-188 range.

Before someone else says it, yes, i know there are sr20 combos out there that have been upper 180's. There is also 9-12 degree stuff that has been low 190's. I'm just talking about your average everyday build in normal atmospheric conditions.

IMO, the 183-185 range was a great place to be. I think I was chased maybe 2 or 3 times. Tommy Phillips with his sr20 combo and Gary Stinnett with his 11 degree combo are the two that stand out.

Posts: 183 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
sully3358...KNOWS!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Buick Gary, WhompWhomp and Torqin all actually run the SR20 and recommend it. The last two run the SR-20 AND the Spreadport deal and still recommend the SR-20. Those guys knows and I would listen to them over someone who has not run that combination.

I would also call a few good engine builders who build both and get their opinions. Once again someone who has actual hands on experience with both of them. I would ask about valve train durability, power, weight and price differences.
One thing to keep in mind is those guys are also trying to sell you a motor and would rather sell you a much more expensive one than a cheaper one so be careful there.

As for anyone who is constantly bad mouthing the SR-20 (or anything) find out if they have ever actually ran them and if they know what they are talking about or if they just have a hard on against that company or product. Do not let emotions cloud your judgement, base it on facts from people who know what they are talking about.

People who actually run that combination or build them and someone who actually WINS RACES with it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3980 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
No derailment, Ed's combo is not even a remote comparison to what the OP is looking to do. Ed also has ZERO experience with either set up.

Agree Tommy and Gary both do well with these combos, but they both would do well in a POS too!

Preference on maintenance, longevity, and the 2-3 mph may be the difference for you to go spreadport...SR20 is my personal preference.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
KB runs sr20 and procharger call him and ask him WHY....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
ED’s combo/Car will be competing against the OP’s yours won’t dumba s s. As usual your clueless.