DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shifter for bracket car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shifter for bracket car
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted
Which type is everyone using.? Currently have a B&M Megashifter which is ratchet type. Been told its a loser and not good for racing. Every once in awhile it will skip past 3rd. Which "Gate" shifter is the ideal setup. Currently running a TH 350 with manual valve body, shifting forward.
Was looking at Hurst 3162006 or Cheetah 70002b or B&M 81052.
Thoughts?

Joe McBride

Posts: 5 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Joe have used a lot of units but found the Cheetah worked the best for my bracket door car, I have changed tranny's and The Cheetah is very easy the change with a few parts going from a 350 or 400 to PG reverse or forward shifting. Also I started with me shifting and then went to an air shifter which was very easy.

http://www.turboaction.com/shifters.html

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I prefer my B&M ProStick, I have also used a Hurst Quarterstick, Cheetah Shifter and a few others.

The B&M has been in my car for 25+ years.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67SS
posted Hide Post
I started out many many years ago with a Megashifter. Horrible shifter for racing. Used to have it go from 2nd to neutral as well. Since then the only shifter I have used in my cars is the B&M Pro Ratchet. Simple ratchet shifter just like the Megashifter you are used to but it can withstand the hard shifts. And even though B&M will not tell you this a simple moving of a pin within the shifter mechanism and it can be changed over to a 2 speed shifter as well. If you are used to a ratchet shifter this will be the easiest route as you don't have to worry about pulling a lever on your 2-3 shift like you will with a gate type shifter.

Chad Harris

Posts: 1263 | Location: Vinton, Virginia | Registered: May 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
HAd quarter stick in my old Nova and never issue. FED has a tube sifter and if I have issues with it a quarter stick will go in it.

I am guessing they have one for 3 spd use.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with J178RED. Easy to use and change from different trans being used. Mines on a th400 rev shift patter with air and has never failed in the 11 yrs I’ve owned my car and the shifter is 20+ yrs old. This is a good choice if you decide to purchase this one.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Use a Hurst Quarter Stick that is at least 25 years old. I carry a spare cable, but have ended up giving it to other Quarter Stick users at the track on several occasions. At the next race I always get a new replacement back in return. I would not want to run a shifter that is rare enough no one has any spare parts if you need them.

Posts: 16 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I use Winters, but Cheetah would be my second choice. NOTHING from B&M for me!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
Cheetah

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of many B&M things, but the Pro Stick & Pro Ratchet have both worked very well for me, with no mis-behaving.
Hurst Quarter Stick is another solid choice. Walk through the lanes or pits and see what others use, especially the successful racers.
Chances are, they use one of these 3 or a Cheetah/SCS.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cheeto scs shifter in both cars one for 26yrs the other 19yrs, no problems at all from either, not even a cable to replace. Footbrake car is a th350 forward shift by hand, box car a glide with a electric solenoid shift.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Cheetah is a nice shifter but if you want to go to any type of shift control on a 3spd all they make is air/CO2. On the Hurst I don't think you can change plates so the shifter can't be changed if you go from forward to reverse pattern or if you go to a 2 spd. B&M Pro Sick is what I used for years, it sucks on a forward pattern and it's real easy to go from 3rd to neutral if you ease off of the lever a little. Works great on a rev pattern 3 spd. I've had a Shifnoid on it for both directions and the Shifnoid gave me problems on the rev pattern. I got a deal on a Pro Ratchet with a Shifnoid and it works great! It will work on forward or reverse pattern 3 spds and 2 spds. The Shifnoid works fine on it with a rev pattern, they don't make one for a forward pattern.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SST386
posted Hide Post
For a 3sp, Turbo Action or Precision Products.
Powerglide Hurst quarter stick.

Posts: 361 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
B&M pro ratchet for me with a shiftnoid. great shifter .

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the feedback. Currently have the original bench seat in my chevelle and would like to keep it. Anybody think mounting the Cheetah with rear exit cable would be a problem? Maybe fab up and mount it on a pedestal?

Joe McBride

Posts: 5 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't give you $.01 for a ratchet shifter of any fashion, not in a race car. And probably not in a street car either. Have had a pro ratchet and and Megashifter and while they both "worked" to select a gear, I hated the ratchet. It wasn't natural, not to me. Stuck a Cheetah in the truck and never looked back. Race car still has a 27 year old Pro Stick.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of McK_Racing
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned the B&M "Quicksilver". Do they still make them? I had one in a street/strip car that worked great. Never an issue. I put a T-handle on it because I hated the ball. It was a ratchet type that stayed centered except when you moved it to reverse or park. I could slam it as hard as I wanted and it never missed a shift. The only reason I don't still have it is that it wouldn't work when I went to a powerglide. But it was solid and reliable 'til the day I sold it.

Posts: 250 | Location: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post