Bracket Talk
Shifter for bracket car

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/4347042186

June 14, 2018, 09:27 AM
71 Chevelle
Shifter for bracket car
Which type is everyone using.? Currently have a B&M Megashifter which is ratchet type. Been told its a loser and not good for racing. Every once in awhile it will skip past 3rd. Which "Gate" shifter is the ideal setup. Currently running a TH 350 with manual valve body, shifting forward.
Was looking at Hurst 3162006 or Cheetah 70002b or B&M 81052.
Thoughts?

Joe McBride
June 14, 2018, 09:45 AM
J178RED
Joe have used a lot of units but found the Cheetah worked the best for my bracket door car, I have changed tranny's and The Cheetah is very easy the change with a few parts going from a 350 or 400 to PG reverse or forward shifting. Also I started with me shifting and then went to an air shifter which was very easy.

http://www.turboaction.com/shifters.html

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!
June 14, 2018, 10:34 AM
TomR
I prefer my B&M ProStick, I have also used a Hurst Quarterstick, Cheetah Shifter and a few others.

The B&M has been in my car for 25+ years.

72 Nova "Hooptie"
June 14, 2018, 10:36 AM
67SS
I started out many many years ago with a Megashifter. Horrible shifter for racing. Used to have it go from 2nd to neutral as well. Since then the only shifter I have used in my cars is the B&M Pro Ratchet. Simple ratchet shifter just like the Megashifter you are used to but it can withstand the hard shifts. And even though B&M will not tell you this a simple moving of a pin within the shifter mechanism and it can be changed over to a 2 speed shifter as well. If you are used to a ratchet shifter this will be the easiest route as you don't have to worry about pulling a lever on your 2-3 shift like you will with a gate type shifter.

Chad Harris
June 14, 2018, 10:45 AM
wideopen231
HAd quarter stick in my old Nova and never issue. FED has a tube sifter and if I have issues with it a quarter stick will go in it.

I am guessing they have one for 3 spd use.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
June 14, 2018, 11:46 AM
markemark
I agree with J178RED. Easy to use and change from different trans being used. Mines on a th400 rev shift patter with air and has never failed in the 11 yrs I’ve owned my car and the shifter is 20+ yrs old. This is a good choice if you decide to purchase this one.
June 14, 2018, 11:46 AM
JoeH
Use a Hurst Quarter Stick that is at least 25 years old. I carry a spare cable, but have ended up giving it to other Quarter Stick users at the track on several occasions. At the next race I always get a new replacement back in return. I would not want to run a shifter that is rare enough no one has any spare parts if you need them.
June 14, 2018, 12:21 PM
Mike Beck
I use Winters, but Cheetah would be my second choice. NOTHING from B&M for me!
June 14, 2018, 02:02 PM
Ken MacNicol
Cheetah
June 14, 2018, 02:18 PM
FootbrakeJim
Not a fan of many B&M things, but the Pro Stick & Pro Ratchet have both worked very well for me, with no mis-behaving.
Hurst Quarter Stick is another solid choice. Walk through the lanes or pits and see what others use, especially the successful racers.
Chances are, they use one of these 3 or a Cheetah/SCS.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
June 14, 2018, 05:15 PM
Wooley
Cheeto scs shifter in both cars one for 26yrs the other 19yrs, no problems at all from either, not even a cable to replace. Footbrake car is a th350 forward shift by hand, box car a glide with a electric solenoid shift.
June 14, 2018, 05:49 PM
Eman
Cheetah is a nice shifter but if you want to go to any type of shift control on a 3spd all they make is air/CO2. On the Hurst I don't think you can change plates so the shifter can't be changed if you go from forward to reverse pattern or if you go to a 2 spd. B&M Pro Sick is what I used for years, it sucks on a forward pattern and it's real easy to go from 3rd to neutral if you ease off of the lever a little. Works great on a rev pattern 3 spd. I've had a Shifnoid on it for both directions and the Shifnoid gave me problems on the rev pattern. I got a deal on a Pro Ratchet with a Shifnoid and it works great! It will work on forward or reverse pattern 3 spds and 2 spds. The Shifnoid works fine on it with a rev pattern, they don't make one for a forward pattern.
June 14, 2018, 07:32 PM
SST386
For a 3sp, Turbo Action or Precision Products.
Powerglide Hurst quarter stick.
June 14, 2018, 10:40 PM
Tim Mitchell
B&M pro ratchet for me with a shiftnoid. great shifter .
June 15, 2018, 11:41 AM
71 Chevelle
Appreciate the feedback. Currently have the original bench seat in my chevelle and would like to keep it. Anybody think mounting the Cheetah with rear exit cable would be a problem? Maybe fab up and mount it on a pedestal?

Joe McBride
June 22, 2018, 10:24 PM
mavman
Wouldn't give you $.01 for a ratchet shifter of any fashion, not in a race car. And probably not in a street car either. Have had a pro ratchet and and Megashifter and while they both "worked" to select a gear, I hated the ratchet. It wasn't natural, not to me. Stuck a Cheetah in the truck and never looked back. Race car still has a 27 year old Pro Stick.
June 24, 2018, 07:47 PM
McK_Racing
No one has mentioned the B&M "Quicksilver". Do they still make them? I had one in a street/strip car that worked great. Never an issue. I put a T-handle on it because I hated the ball. It was a ratchet type that stayed centered except when you moved it to reverse or park. I could slam it as hard as I wanted and it never missed a shift. The only reason I don't still have it is that it wouldn't work when I went to a powerglide. But it was solid and reliable 'til the day I sold it.