DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Air in cooling system.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air in cooling system.....
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I have a aluminum radiator up in front of the footbox on my dragster. AN fittings on the radiator and hoses running from it back to the engine. I have a CSR electric pump with AN fittings also. Filler neck has an AN fitting.
Problem is, obviously the radiator up front is lower then the water pump. If I change the water in later rounds the system gets air and won't pump water.
I'm trying to figure a way to put vacuum to the filler neck to get the air out so it pumps.
Has anybody used a vacuum pump like this? It's about a 6' run of hose each way.
I've seen online a tapered rubber cone with a fitting that I could just stick in the filler neck h0le, attach my a/c vacuum pump, and let it sit for a for 5-10 minutes.
Will this actually draw all the air out even though the radiator is 6' away and lower?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Dave what would happen if you lifted or jacked the car up maybe a foot then filled of course with the water pump going?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Dave what would happen if you lifted or jacked the car up maybe a foot then filled of course with the water pump going?

Hummmmm.....I'll try that in the morning.
Only issue I can think of is to get the radiator 2' higher/ or at least level with the w/p I may have to raise the front end 4'-5'
But if that worked I'd keep it in mind for a quick/panic fix if needed late rounds.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Just be safe Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
oh He11 yes...lol

I'll use the engine hoist and just hook it to the tow tab.
Be cool if raising it works. But I still hope the vacuum thing will do it because I don't have "helpers" at the track now days.

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Get one of the Chinese inch-worm chassis, that'll solve the issue!

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Buy one of these and don't look back. Makes filling the car a pleasure.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/...yEAQYASABEgKTC_D_BwE

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
You would probably benefit from a bleeder valve at the radiator, maybe teed into one of the fittings. I had a dragster with a horizontal radiator, I used to fill the cooling system with the front tires in the trailer and the rears on the ground.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
So your cooling system is just not big enough to keep the car cooled in the later rounds?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've used an airlift cooling system filler a few times and it worked well.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
So your cooling system is just not big enough to keep the car cooled in the later rounds?

Of course not...why do you think I sometimes have to change out some water later in the day?
Fuel tank isn't big enough to make it through the day either....what's your point? lol

Dave

F J B

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Dave, fill it at the radiator. Highest point on the low pressure side of the cooling system. Intake is on the high side.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, yeah I was thinking about pulling the radiator and welding on a filler neck with just a screw on cap. If lifting or vacuuming doesn't do it I'll try that.

Dave

F J B

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They way you have it now, you'll always have air in the system. Ask Ed, he knows...nothing..lol

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dave,

My point would be perhaps you need a bigger cooling system. I had a homebuilt sprayer on my old roadster and it worked fine. Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dave would a remote pump close to radiator help push the water to the engine. I am interested in this topic as I have a radiator up front in new to me dragster. It has a remote pump by radiator and previous guy said he didn't have a problem with cooling but he also was running on alcohol.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Dave,

My point would be perhaps you need a bigger cooling system. I had a homebuilt sprayer on my old roadster and it worked fine. Good luck!

Actually I was agreeing with you brother.
This is an older (low frame rails and body) and kinda short car (225") so space is a premium. I would LOVE to have one of those diesel truck size radiators over the trans and a transmission cooler on top of it.
I have a luxury liner new chassis (252") that just came of the jig so I don't want to make mass changes in this old car...

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Dave would a remote pump close to radiator help push the water to the engine. I am interested in this topic as I have a radiator up front in new to me dragster. It has a remote pump by radiator and previous guy said he didn't have a problem with cooling but he also was running on alcohol.

I had the front up 4' today and then tried the rear up 3', burp every fitting, vacuumed the system for 1/2 hour, even tried a different pump and still no water pumping.
I'm going to take the radiator out tomorrow and weld on a neck and screw on cap. I'm going to feed water from the garden hose through it and make sure it's not clogged.
I like the extra inline pump idea. What are you using?

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Pump is not wired backwards right. Reverse flow Confused

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's an inline meziere pump only not tandemed. I havnt ran it yet. Been going through whole car and fixing issues and making it right for me. Hope ya get it fixed. I was going to put 2 radiators on my old car and may on this one if I run gas. It may cause air pocket problems but I wouldn't know what to do if everything went smooth. Good Luck

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post