New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timing Lights
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
My 100 year old (I bought it on my 20th birthday) inductive timing light finally died yesterday so I need to buy a new one. Looking at the number of choices (and there are many) I want one that is internally powered (two type D batteries). I also need a straight tube type timing light rather than a pistol grip or one that has a curved handle due to access issues. If it matters I have been using 8.5 mm MSD/Moroso type wire sets.

Looking for a recommendation that worked well and if possibly, less than $150.

Thanks.

Bob

Posts: 2134 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
You know I've bought a few of Craftsman 2134 lights off E-Bay and sold them to friends for cost.

I've even gotten them with the metal inductive clamp.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Need Carb Parts or Service? PM jmark right here.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2288 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use the flaming river light, it's been pretty good so far

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2016 Miller
2015 NHRA D4 Champ!
2009 IHRA T/D #7
2009 IHRA D4 T/D R-up
2007 IHRA D4 Top ET Champ

http://www.killerrons.com/
Rolla Competition Engines

Posts: 1232 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have four timing lights and none of them work with a MSD system.

Bob

Posts: 2134 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ytoddmalibu
posted Hide Post
Flaming River battery light here, been problem free for the last 4 years

3/28/2014 RIP Juli Pasch the love of my life for ever

Posts: 88 | Location: MidMichMotorplex | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
Bob, I've never had a timing light that didn't work with an MSD ignition. What's the issue?

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8106 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Ed:

I have four timing lights (2 KAL Equip/ one Sun/ one CP) that, for one reason or another would not work. It wasn't a voltage issue, they just would either not "read" through the MSD 8.5 wire or they were dead, probably the latter from sitting in my trailer for the past umpteen decades. So yesterday I ordered a new one from Summit that should be here by the end of the week. I doubt that the timing is off by more than one or two degrees at the most, just felt guilty that I had not checked it since installing a Grid. Yep, that stupid.

What was interesting was reading the customer reviews on most of those timing lights, not very complimentary.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate the input.

Regards:

Bob

DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
Bob, good morning.

I've owned several timing lights since turning 16 a long time ago and started with the chrome Sears light like most did back in the day. Today I have two, a 30 year old dial back Snap On Digital and a 6 year old MSD self powered.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 8106 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Sears/Craftsman is what I have the best success with. My best advice to anyone is compare your lights to each other or a buddies.

David Lanning

Fleenor Racing Powerglides
419-280-1406
Team Mickey Thompson

Lanning Electric
APD, BTE, Digital Delay, Hughes, Reid & Trans Specialties Dealer

Posts: 4731 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
I have a Ferret Instruments digital light that I've had for years. Works flawlessly. I've used it on MSD and regular ignitions with no difference.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 249 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
my Snap On digital dial back light and my MSD self powered read the same.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am beginning to wonder if leaving them in the trailer might have been the problem. During the summer it's not unusual for the temperature in the trailer to exceed 110. For you guys living in Texas, that might be a day that you would consider wearing a jacket.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you did throw it against the trailer wall they would last longer. lol JK

Posts: 479 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
Bob, mine and I'm sure most evertone keeps theirs in their trailers too. Cant say what temp the inside of my trailer gets with the doors closed in the summer but I'll guess over 100 as well below freezing in the winter. Doesn't effect our cars with all their electronics and should effect the timing lights either.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
Mine stays in my tool cart in the trailer all summer, then in my garage during the winter....Summertime we'll see temps in the upper 90's on a regular basis, and at my place it's not unusual to see temps in the -10's or colder....To this date it's never once affected how my timing light works....I do store it in the case it came in though, not sure if that really makes a difference or not...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 249 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Good thread on timing lights.
I have both the good old chrome Sears Craftsman in the garage and the self contained Flaming river in the trailer.
Both read the same but will not register timing at any higher RPM than 2500 RPM.
I work on some street strip cars with mechanical curve kits and I like to check where the timing quits advancing.
Does anyone have any like experience and know how to remedy it outside of a dial back timing light?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
why outside of the dial back feature that I've been using for decades with every MSD box and that I use to do exactly what you are wanting to do.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I keep a chrome Sears light in the trailer and have a Mac dial back light in the shop. Both read exactly the same on any MSD I hook them to. I can rev the engine with either and they both keep flashing just fine. The Sears light I found local on Craigslist still in the original cardboard box for $20.

Posts: 576 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
My timing light stays in the trailer year round. It can hit 110* in there, I have a thermometer on the wall. Never had a problem. Good old Sears light.

Posts: 1503 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have had just about every timing light made in the last 50 years.SUN,SnapOn MSD, Sears.The Sears was the best bang for the buck Dyno room use .Currently we are using A Electronics -Specialties,Chicago IL,Model #130.They claiom USA Mfg.It matched our last Sears and so far has survived dyno room use and abuse for 1 year. They sell for under 100$ and are on Amazon.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 139 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post