DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Carb or injection?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carb or injection?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
In the mood to get a good debate going while i drink my coffee. I've wanted to update my carb to a billet piece and had nothing but issues with both builders I've tried getting one to transition properly the brake, while the old tried and true holley cast piece works just fine. Both billet pieces were 3 circuit carbs while my other is a 2.Ihave a 598 with bb3's that with a iron block in my diamond dragster that's 1980lbs on the starting line runs high 46x's to mid 47x's @ 145-146 on alky. The motor's currently getting a aluminum block upgrade and a freshen up. You experts on here think i should keep trying a carb that works or just switch to injection?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
I guess I should mention all 3 carbs performed the same to the 1/8. FWTW Razz

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I've never really heard anything bad about injection.. And it can sometimes be faster than a carb. Now, that's with a carb that isn't setup/tuned properly vs going injection, most of the time these days a carb can be and is just as fast. I would see if anyone you know has an intake and hat you could toss on before buying the whole system..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Michael, you know we ran injection for years. Probably ran injection longer than anyone else around. We also ran alcohol carbs on multiple cars from multiple builders. Once we switched to gas I honestly don’t think we will ever go back to alcohol.

I will say this much, if you decide to go injection you 100% have to have a primer plus system and the person I would call would be James Monroe.

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a billet 1250 cfm alcohol carb from a reputable builder. It struggled going on the brake since day one. Went back once and no change. I bandaided the problem with a higher than normal SLE rpm for a while. It took bringing the idle air bleed down from .036 to something in the mid .02x range to get it to go up clean. It ultimately probably needs a slightly later idle feed restrictor.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
You can make either one work very well. Injection requires a front fuel cell, which is 00's technology anyway, but I can change my fuel mixture in seconds by swapping a pill. Carb is more work to change jets, but more fuel system forgiving. I laugh because most carb racers bring the rpm's up a little while waiting for the tree and most injection guys can have a 200 rpm idle and just whack it on the tree.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Carb on gas. You must have the wrong people building your carbs.

quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Once we switched to gas I can honestly say we will never go back to alcohol. Thanks 1320racer.

Edited for the truth and facts. Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
I have a billet 1250 cfm alcohol carb from a reputable builder. It struggled going on the brake since day one. Went back once and no change. I bandaided the problem with a higher than normal SLE rpm for a while. It took bringing the idle air bleed down from .036 to something in the mid .02x range to get it to go up clean. It ultimately probably needs a slightly later idle feed restrictor.

Had a similar experience with a new 598 BBC with BB3Xtras on alcohol.

Out the box: .038 idle / .038 intermediate / .024 high speed. Would not come up clean from the SLE @ 2000 RPMs.

Changed to: .018 idle / .024 intermediate and solved that issue at the track.

Contacted the carb builder and it was suggested that I send it back for inspection. After some changes, received the carb back with .030 idle / .032 intermediate. No more issues.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodney Pryor,

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Carb on gas. You must have the wrong people building your carbs.

quote:
Once we switched to gas I can honestly say we will never go back to alcohol. Thanks 1320racer.

Edited for the truth and facts. Big Grin

check your pm's. i elaborated . Razz

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael, you know we ran injection for years. Probably ran injection longer than anyone else around. We also ran alcohol carbs on multiple cars from multiple builders. Once we switched to gas I honestly don’t think we will ever go back to alcohol.

I will say this much, if you decide to go injection you 100% have to have a primer plus system and the person I would call would be James Monroe.

who's this?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
what rodney and dennis are describing is the same issue i had with both carbs, both were from reputable builders. i'd love to try gas even though the heads were chosen to run on alky. we have three cars and a junior and just dont want to have to carry a separate fuel. Let me have it ED. NahNahTounge

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It’s all good Michael but you’re spending a lot of $ to run quicker and faster, by swapping to an aluminum block yet you chose to run slower using an alky carb.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s all good Michael but you’re spending a lot of $ to run quicker and faster, by swapping to an aluminum block yet you chose to run slower using an alky carb.

Probably going to borrow a gas carb from a friend once i make some hits with current set up that works.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think in et bracket/ index races, the majority to minority would be, Gas Carb, Alky Carb, MFI Alky, EFI Gas, EFI Alky. The Win/ RU of these events would probably show the same. Not saying one is better than the other, just saying.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
In the mood to get a good debate going while i drink my coffee. I've wanted to update my carb to a billet piece and had nothing but issues with both builders I've tried getting one to transition properly the brake, while the old tried and true holley cast piece works just fine. Both billet pieces were 3 circuit carbs while my other is a 2.Ihave a 598 with bb3's that with a iron block in my diamond dragster that's 1980lbs on the starting line runs high 46x's to mid 47x's @ 145-146 on alky. The motor's currently getting a aluminum block upgrade and a freshen up. You experts on here think i should keep trying a carb that works or just switch to injection?

I have ran both and both work!

There is no reason you should have issues with either getting to the two step.

What the details of the carbs you now have? Up to you if you list the builder or not.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
quote:

Probably going to borrow a gas carb from a friend once i make some hits with current set up that works.

Without knowing all the details I'd say that alky injection will be the fastest then the gas carb and then the alky carb.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Unsure who your builder is as well, but we went from a gas 1050 that it took me 3 years to get it to go to the chip clean (never did get it perfect) to having an APD (non-billet) 1150 or 1250 piece and it literally was almost a tenth faster and more consistent than the gas carb, and I didn't touch the tuneup minus taking a few jet sizes out of it after first weekend.

Oh, and it gets up on the chip, like, right now when the enhancer hits.

I do have a 4150 APD billet 750 on our camaro, I literally haven't touched the thing and it prints the same ticket every weekend.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It’s probably something in the bleeds causing your issues. If you have a difference in et going from gas to alky, then I’d think your combo is not set up to be efficient. I’ve swapped probably 3 or 4 times, different carbs even, never seen more than about 5 thou difference in et to the 1/8th. But what do I know, I built my junk at home, not from a professional engine builder. I’m not for the extra price tag in fuel for the same et.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gxp7903:
It’s probably something in the bleeds causing your issues. If you have a difference in et going from gas to alky, then I’d think your combo is not set up to be efficient. I’ve swapped probably 3 or 4 times, different carbs even, never seen more than about 5 thou difference in et to the 1/8th. But what do I know, I built my junk at home, not from a professional engine builder. I’m not for the extra price tag in fuel for the same et.

Like i said, all three carbs for all three requtable bulders performed identical to the 1/8th mile cone. Just confused as to how both the builders of the fancy 3 circuit carbs couldnt get one to work right on the transition. NahNahTounge

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Started racing in 1985 and injection in 1986 and never looked back. Injection is just simpler. Simpler to set up.Simpler to tune and make changes. Simpler experiment if you want.

While I have heard some carbs with good throttle response I have never heard one sound as crisp and clean as well-tuned injection.

IMO its not even a question, but then I have been carb free for 35 years and never cared to run one since.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post