DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone have a road side assistance / towing plan ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a road side assistance / towing plan ??
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
COACH NET.....

I had never heard of them until now but I like what I see. My AAA is coming up for renewal and I wanted to explore other options. Which coverages do you subscribe to?

One of things I don't like about AAA is it varies by state. For what any of the top tier roadside assistance cost is vs what a tow bill can be is peanuts.

I am a freight broker and a couple years ago we had a truckload of frozen seafood crash on I80 in PA. It was a rollover in winter. The recovery bill was over $100 grand, 107 IIRC. The companies cargo insurance put up a fight but ultimately ended up paying although I think they negotiated it down to around 80-85 grand.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qtrrcr:
One thing about good sam, they will tow anything you have, anywhere you want, .

they must have changed their policy then , I carried them for 4-5 years , they (as well as AAA ) explicitly told me ..." we will tow your motorhome or your dually , BUT we WILL NOT touch your trailer with a race car in it " --and when I asked what if I didnt say there was a racecar in it , they said they will look inside a cargo trailer before hooking on to it , and a race car is a no no ... Insurance maybe ?? I dont know .... so you might ask that question before signing up with them .. They did tow my motorhome once when the fuel pump went out and infact DID . leave me and my trailer stranded on the side of interstate 70 near st louis in the middle of the night .. I had to call a buddy 4 hours away to bring his dually to get me and my trailer ... just a FYI

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul S/Q,

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I specifically asked the question before becoming a member 4 years ago and I have fr3einds who have had the race car trailer towed.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I specifically asked the question before becoming a member 4 years ago and I have fr3einds who have had the race car trailer towed.

its been about 6 years since they told me they wouldnt touch a race car trailer , and I quit them .. thats good to know that theyve possibly changed that part of the coverage . I will call them today and verify that and get back on their plan if so .. the savings I had with the one time motorhome tow , was substancial ...but leaving a guy on the side of the road at night with his trailer . did leave a sore taste for a few years ''' ..I'll post what they tell me later ..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul S/Q,

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have had Good Sam for about 15 years. My diesel coach melted a main fuse panel on I-35, Towing the stacker. In 45 minutes they had a wrecker there for the coach and a dually for the trailer and the wrecker called Missouri State Troopers to sit back on highway about 2000' with lights on to protect his crew getting coach ready to tow (remove driveshaft, 4x4s under frame, etc.
Towed us 35 miles to closest truck stop and they arranged for a Mobile Truck Repair guy to come out, this was Saturday morning. I had to pay him but it was only $300.00 and he hard wired in 11 Bosch breakers (he said NOW it's fixed and he was right)
I asked the tow truck guy what the cost would have been and it was $1500.00. Good Sam was $129 a year I think, best value I have made in racing in a long time.

Towed one other time when turbo went out. No problems and they tow them to closest repair shop for a motorhome.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Had a bad call last year on a 38' 5th wheel camper and it was heavy. 3 axle. Stuck on the get on ramp and over the white line. The center axle completely broke all the welds and tried to come out from underneath. No motor club would touch it.

This is about a $75K triple slide. All i could do was completely remove the center axle. Got it down the road slowly to the next town to a RV dealer. I tell guys all the time, some listen and some don't. Get your a*** under that trailer from time to time and look at all the welds and stay on top of odd tire wear. I don't care who makes it or how much you spent.... LOOK!!!! I do road service for a living. I have just about seen it all.

From RV tire and wheels coming off brand new trailers to semi axle housings breaking completely in half. CYA and look.. Even had a few of the duals fly off and hit trees and houses.

This will get your attention quick. Almost killed the driver. This is what happens when you exceed the the stud yield with a impact.

That happen at 60 Mph.. It's called the proper torque wrench.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I signed up for Good Sam Platinum PLUS. Do not get the platinum std. IT ONLY covers a single axle trailer. I went through this with them and asked VERY specific questions. GOOD luck hopefully I never need it!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I just went with Coach Net and will let my AAA expire at the end of the contract next month. I looked at adding their tire hazard policy but it's an extra $360 per year and I cannot justify the cost. I'll pay for my tire repair/replace at the time if needed.

I highly suggest if you are not using one now to get a TPMS monitoring system. I monitor all tires on MH and trailer for air pressure and temp. It saved my friend a nasty problem when he he had a wheel bearing going bad. He noticed the temp rising quickly on the one tire and pulled over before it came apart.

This is the system that I use. I added more sensors for my trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Se...omotive%2C257&sr=8-4

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have Good Sam. I have debated back and forth between carriers, and I have never used my roadside assistance, but my piece of mind comes from having something available to get my rig off the interstate.

I feel like I have the ability to fix most things, as long as I was in a truck stop, parking area etc, but my fear would be being alongside the I75 in Cincinnati with an immobile motorhome, and trying to diagnose or fix it.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Platinum Plus is up to 179 now, but when you would have to pay 300 just to get hooked up for a tow, it is worth it.
Sorry, I misspoke. its up to 239 now my bad

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My wife shows dogs professionally and triple aaa and god Sam would not do anything for her Coach Net covered her when we had a box truck and tow behind camper and also now with her diesel pusher have no complaints at all they have brought out new tires when she needed and the price was no worse then we pay at local suppliers

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
just got off the phone with good Sam ... she informed me they did not used to cover cargo trailers with an "auto" inside . But they now do ..but its only under the Platinum Plus package which is now $219.95 a year ... so thats good to know ... I will re-up with them . dont wanna be stranded if I dont have too !!!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
they covered a race car trailer at least 4 years ago.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post