DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Random SLE activation.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random SLE activation.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Denis if it activated by the trans brake button could the separate back up button be causing the issue

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Denis if it activated by the trans brake button could the separate back up button be causing the issue

My back up is on PB2 that won't activate the SLE.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Like I wrote prior, the only inputs that activate the SLE are the Tap and TB buttons to Mega 475/450. The OP wrote that the Tap button and cable were changed.

Here’s a simple way to determine if the TB button is at fault activating the SLE. Leave the Mega programmed as is and remove the Tap button wire going to the Mega Terminal. Now the only thing that can trigger SLE is TB button input.

See if this continues to randomly activate using in this manner. If it continues to randomly activate it would point to the TB input. If the false activation stops, it points to the Tap button.

If you had a faulty SLE solenoid, it would not cycle on/ off on its own. The solenoid would do nothing when +12v was applied if solenoid bad. The only thing energizing that solenoid is the +12v coming from the SFO terminal of Mega.

You can also enable the SLE Starting Line Mode which will not require a Tap input or move the pedal to the floor

S.L.E. Starting Line Mode
The Starting Line Mode only affects the S.L.E. in Bracket Mode. When turned on and in any P.B. Mode except 5, the S.L.E. will activate with the Transbrake solenoid or the Tap Down button. This feature is used when the driver wants to stage the vehicle without having the gas pedal on the floor. Or if a Tap Down button has not been installed in the vehicle. With the S.L.E. line selected, use the ^ or v key to turn the starting line mode on or off. When turned on an “L” will be displayed just before the S.L.E. time.

If the TB button is the cause the brake would set every time it acted up wouldn't it ?

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the TB button is the cause the brake would set every time it acted up wouldn't it ?

That is correct. The brake and SLE would both activate together with the SLE Not in Starting Line mode.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Have you checked or changed your SLE button on the steering wheel. Might be bad inside causing the contacts to hit and cause your problem. Just a simple idea. Disconnect it and see it if stops

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes the button was changed first. For me it was not as yes as disconnecting the button or turning off the SLE because the SLE output also controls my transbrake safety because we have a high gear brake.

I believe my problem was RF/electronic noise related. Since I rewired over the winter my RP driveshaft was showing some noise. Rerouted a few wires last weekend made four clean runs and the driveshaft was smoother.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about trying an MSD 8830 noise supressor

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post