DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Klotz UpLon Alcohol & Gas Top Fuel Lube?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Klotz UpLon Alcohol & Gas Top Fuel Lube?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted

We haven't run alcohol for many years.

Questions for anyone using this for alcohol in a ProCharger engine:
1. Using the amount detailed on container?
2.Are you "pickling" the engine at the end of a race weekend or just draining all of the lines and the tank?
3. Any other recommendations?

Thanks...

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
I don't use any sort of lube.
End of day I run engine with fuel shut off turned off and spray WD into blower inlet as engine dies.
I keep fuel tank full as possible to displace as much air as possible.

Blown BBC 540 6.40 218

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have been running Klotz Uplon fuel lube since the day I started running alcohol 10 years ago. Directions call for 32oz to a 55 gallon drum. I use 1/2 that. I think it helps keep my blower Teflon strips lubed and any time I have taken my pump or barrel valve apart I don't see and white crusty crap anywhere including the hose fittings or tank.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I used Klotz uplon when I ran alcohol.
2oz per 5gallons
Never did anything week to week.
If going to sit idle for a while was the only time I did anything different.
With injection I cleaned my nozzles weekly
Carb. Don’t let it sit any long period with fuel in it.
Heated up engine to 200+ end of race
Had a primer plus with injection and made it easy to get it hot
I still have some Klotz and that’s the only additive I ever used.
Zero problems with it.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
always used in alky if not being checked at event. Now if I buy less than the barrel and know I going to go thru it that weekend I don't add. I will make sure to run fuel with it at end of day or just add some to tank and fire car and heat up engine pretty good before putting car away.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you decide to use a fuel lube, Klotz Uplon is an Excellent product. I’ve been told, that if you need to read spark plugs, lube could possibly alter the plug reading slightly.

Although I use Klotz (since 2007) one quart for 54 gallon barrel, I don’t read my plugs using a Primer Plus that completely distorts the plug reading. My Rons 0 pump from the late 80’s that I recently sold with the MFI still looked perfect inside and flowed slightly more than a new 0 pump in 2013 when I sent it to Rons.

When I switched from MFI to EFI last year I was told by many not to use lube with EFI injectors as it would plug them up. This is NOT true using Klotz Uplon with EFI. I’ve used over 350 gallons of methanol with Klotz in EFI to date and everything works and looks perfect. I even use it in the 93 octane to flush out the EFI fuel system, injectors, run and then leave sit filled over the winter months.

I no longer run the water temp up to 200* at the end of the day using methanol with EFI. The oil is usually in the 200+* range last run of day and water is 180+*. I just drive it into the trailer with the Primer system. No milky oil and oil samples showed no water and only a Trace of fuel in oil.

Posts: 2429 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Agree 100% with Mark. Never one issue with Klotz Top Lube for 12 years. So far we are burning through drum #7 this season. Both cars with carbs and all I do is turn the pump off and let it run out of fuel at the end of the day.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Klotz been used for ten plus years. When I first went to alky a friend who worked with a
NASCAR team recommend it to me , but at a much lower mix , only 4 oz. Per barrel.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:

We haven't run alcohol for many years.

Questions for anyone using this for alcohol in a ProCharger engine:
1. Using the amount detailed on container?
2.Are you "pickling" the engine at the end of a race weekend or just draining all of the lines and the tank?
3. Any other recommendations?

Thanks...

If you`re EFI with the pro charger, you shouldn't use any lube at all. It can clog up the screens in the injectors. I`ve been running alcohol since 1998 and EFI since 2004 and never added any type of lube to alcohol and never had a problem.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post