DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hard tail dragster tire.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard tail dragster tire.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of nhra431
posted
Ok guys needing more input on what tire. I have 235 slip joint hard tail. I have the 3074 on it now and really like the tire until the weather gets below 50 degrees. Car is nasty while sun is out but soon as sun goes down and temps get below 50 it won’t leave the starting line. I’m looking at the 30771,3080 or the 3084s. Car weights about 1750 loaded 4.90s,1.08,3.16,@ 137 with 4.10 gear.

Posts: 8 | Location: arkansas | Registered: February 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put my cars on any race track when the temp is below 50 and every year the majority of wrecks in drag racing happen at the beginning and end of the season when the temps dip below 50. You'll never see the NHRA put cars on the track in those temps either.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
must disagree with you 1290. they ran us at Gainesville div race well below 50 degrees. low 40's if remember correctly. it was cold. sportsman are there to put heat in the track.

ep-it was cold as **** at Orlando and south ga as well

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
hadn't heard. here in division 1 I doubt they would but guaranteed my cars wouldn't be on the track. I did see the video years ago of the first pair of super comp cars down the track in the morning both wreck. Might have been gainesville.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
That was few years ago at the Gators when they ran T/D's on a wet track and the first pair down both crashed on the top end independently of each other. There was visible water spray coming off the slicks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJck7wwKGfQ

Super Angry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
staff did a good job with the track in those temps.

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'd pass, seen two many wrecks in those temps and the NHRA nor the track owners are going to pay for your decision to run with those temps on a cold track.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
At 50 at RT 66 >> Never. The cold air and moisture at about the 800 comes off the farm land next to the track. Wreck city. I remember the one year the moisture coming up through the asphalt. Shut the track down.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Again on NHRA and track temp. We ran Atlanta one year it was 22 that morning and by time we got line its 34 and track was mid 40's.

Also ran New England in similar conditions but it was IHAR at the time.

Now that said. I did delay making some runs earlier this year because of cold track and totally new combo. Oh yea thats bit me in the azz,because along came corona and the world stopped.Except golf.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
3074's do have some bite to them.Have not tried on cold track. With my deal tire speed is ultra important and biggest issue seems to be getting enough. Hell just need more power.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of nhra431
posted Hide Post
Look guys I’m wanting some info on tires. Idc that you won’t race if it’s cold that’s yal.

Posts: 8 | Location: arkansas | Registered: February 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhra431:
Look guys I’m wanting some info on tires. Idc that you won’t race if it’s cold that’s yal.

sorry bro you are correct. it has gotten off subject. I run the mt 3191 little bubba on my 4.80 dragster with good luck in all weather conditions. down side with them is bead locks are required. same 60' as you

ep

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been very happy with the 3080 on my 225" hardtail going 4.70s. Last fall at the bracket finals I ran the car down into the upper 40s before swapping to high gear only on my bye run at 5 cars. Had I not had the bye I think I'd have been ok still leaving in first gear.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of nhra431
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:

sorry bro you are correct. it has gotten off subject. I run the mt 3191 little bubba on my 4.80 dragster with good luck in all weather conditions. down side with them is bead locks are required. same 60' as you

ep

I’m afraid the little bubba and the headlocks will kill the performance of my little small block

DRR Trophy
Picture of nhra431
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
quote:

I've been very happy with the 3080 on my 225" hardtail going 4.70s. Last fall at the bracket finals I ran the car down into the upper 40s before swapping to high gear only on my bye run at 5 cars. Had I not had the bye I think I'd have been ok still leaving in first gear.

Do the 3080 work well in the warmer weather as well?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haha. I was wondering when that was coming

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:

Love it!

Only 4 posts, but you are on your game Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do the 3080 work well in the warmer weather as well?

I've been happy with it year round on my car. I'm on my second set now.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Max Moore
posted Hide Post
That's my son we read and take note of the information but usually can fix about any problem .
Tires have got so expensive its hard to decide which to purchase when they are $700-900 a set.

Thanks for the input.
Sure wish we could go try some new rubber somewhere

Posts: 410 | Location: NE AR | Registered: December 13, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
NHRA 431, On my Front Engine Dragster, weight and performance is similar to yours. The 3074 was the best tire I have ever ran of all of them on my 4 link Altered in any weather. The MT tires have a much wider good working temperature range than the other tires I used to run. And I have tried a lot of tires.

The 3074 does not work as good on the Dragster. It is a different animal with a different personality. Required a different approach to resolve it.

With your hard tail slip joint car it may be similar to mine. Feel free to private message me if you would like to talk about what I have tried and done to resolve it. I am not going to get into a pissing contest with internet know it all here.

As for track temperature I try to set up my car where it will work good on any track any time. When your car is set up right with right tire etc it will hook even when others can not. With that said when the track is gets too cool or damp it is not going to hook. Keep an eye on the dew point.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post