DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster air filter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster air filter
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I had a composite scoop tray insert that was molded for an air filter to sit in. Got rid of it a few years ago and went to a k&n scoop and filter. I’m putting together a different car now with a standard scoop and tray. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of to find a filter insert like I had. Anybody have any ideas who makes something like that?

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Zalco racing products
http://www.dragraceresults.com/fullstory.cfm?id=4023

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 251 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Looks like Zalco is out of business. Got one, what's it worth to you?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Text me a price
704-902-6595

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
K&N makes a cone filter that fits a standard scoop and tray. I got one from Luke Bogacki years ago ( I can't remember the part # but have the invoice in my trailer and will get it to you). I have a race tech style scoop so it isn't a tall scoop either.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top189h:
K&N makes a cone filter that fits a standard scoop and tray. I got one from Luke Bogacki years ago ( I can't remember the part # but have the invoice in my trailer and will get it to you). I have a race tech style scoop so it isn't a tall scoop either.

This is the K&N Filter. I have used this for years.

https://www.summitracing.com/p...n-66-3310r?rrec=true

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new K&N cone filter for sale if anyone is interested.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
We use the same K&N that Tony posted a link for. Wouldn't use the Zalco style again. Filters come out, screw them down, then they break. They are out of business. The K&N is a way better setup

Posts: 2102 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
K&N specified the flow limits on every filter. Calculate the max flow of your engine add 20% to that and ensure the filter is sized properly unless you ok with a power loss. In any case, make a couple of back to back runs just to make sure the performance is not altered.
If you lab tested your used oil, you’ll see Si drop with a filter and you’ll also see gouge free cylinder walls.
I’m amazed that some still run wo an air filter

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 62ChevyII
posted Hide Post
The K&N 3310R cone filters,
Will it only work on a dragster with the flat scoop tray ? I’m assuming these wont work on the riser aluminum trays.

Posts: 8 | Location: Kermit, WV | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
11B6T x 9.5D $95.00

#1 Stop Air Filter 11B6x9.5D is a K&N 2 ply non-oiled high-flow filter to fit tapered scoop trays. Its comes complete with stainless steel stud and mounting hardware. The base is available for 4150 Holley (5 1/8 dia.) and 4500 Holley (7 5/16) dia.). The filter has an 11" dia. base tapering to a 6" dia. top and is 9.5" tall. The spun aluminum base is 2" tall.

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed any ET change with a big cone filter ?

Posts: 621 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:

Flat filter on my car, cone filter on my wife’s car. No ET or MPH difference on either car, A/B/A test. With all the stones that fly around while driving through the pits I consider a filter a necessity. A couple years ago I had a stone inside the scoop sitting on the tray on my wife’s car. Lucky for the filter!

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:

Yes, mph too. A-B-A proven. No filer for me for most of the 3 decades I’ve been racing and many of my competitors along with some of the biggest names in the sport with engines from The Who’s who of sportsman engine builders don’t run an air filter either. Now if you chose to race at a shyt hole in bum fuc with a dirt track on the property, that’s on you and you maybe you should also be concern with rocks getting into your belt drive too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We bracket race. You can protect your engine more with a filter or less without one, choose. I have great friends that don't run filters. Their choice. I run one. My choice.

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use a K&N filter on my 582, ran exactly the same MPH and ET A-B-A at the same D/A. Some results may vary I just know it didn't slow my car, but I'll bet the rings and cylinder walls love it.

Bob

Posts: 3074 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post