DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    my first 8 3/4" rear end
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my first 8 3/4" rear end
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I'm setting up a mopar diff for the first time. It has a new Aburn posi, Motive gear and kit. I've done 12 bolts and 9" before, is there anything special to watch for?

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not really....
What size pinion, 1 3/4" (742 case) or 1 7/8" (489 case)?
Polish the inner pinion bearing loc. to slip fit the bearing, so can easily set the pinion depth.

Posts: 6 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That's how I do the 9" ers, Thanks. The setup kit was short two ring gear bolts. Dang.
I haven't checked the numbers yet, I will.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have the right carrier bearings. I think all the new kits though are made for the Auburn posi. I did a 489 case for my street car a couple summers ago, and used a factory Sure-Grip unit, which take a different carrier bearing than the Auburn units.

If you're doing a 489 case, I'd look into getting a solid spacer to replace the crush collar. I used the crush collar on mine, but if I had to do it again, I would have put the spacer in.

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post