Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    I swear i put anti gel in the tanks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I swear i put anti gel in the tanks
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted
Well ya, after the fact. These are the problems i have to deal with every cold season on the trucks and the reefers. Like i tell them, don't even come up here in the severe weather with non treated fuel and expect no issues. Just turned my job into a nightmare.

Posts: 391 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
posted Hide Post
Spent the past week in Vermont, every day was well below zero and overnight as low as -20. Never an issue starting my duramax diesel which has anti gel in the fuel.

Posts: 8810 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Yuck.

That's gonna leave a mark.............on someone's wallet!
Slap Head

272" Spitzer
Rolla Competition Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.70@198

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 2565 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Being from the south we don't see that.

My question is; if the truck was left in a garage cold enough to gel the fuel, but was not started until it warmed up, would the fuel return to a liquid state?

272" Spitzer
Rolla Competition Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.70@198

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 2565 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Being from the south we don't see that.

My question is; if the truck was left in a garage cold enough to gel the fuel, but was not started until it warmed up, would the fuel return to a liquid state?

yes! when I was young and dumb and lived in the north, we would drag the truck inside and let it warm up, then start it.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1132 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
In most cases it would revert back to a liquid state with heat/warmth and specific additive The contamination of algae remains the same. Once this type of garbage runs through the pump, its H**ll. Years ago they were using animal fat as a fill in with bio diesel. One facility in particular received a load of estimated 15k gallons with the fat contents. Let just say someone payed a hefty price (insurance company) for all the units that made it about 15-20 miles after fueling up.Years ago and a lot of drivers can vouch for this. they would add about 1-2 gallons of gas to the diesel fuel. Never Gel. Some companies where as it gets say 15-20 below, run a mix of #1 and #2 blend. I can remember on a specif call i had to add 2 gallons of washer solvent to the tanks. The alcohol actually broke down the waxing and away he went. That's when the shelves were empty for a week or so for any additive.

Posts: 391 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
From the few thousand diesel fuel samples I have looked at. PA in particular, but the NE has the worst diesel fuel in the country. Carboxylates that originate from pipeline corrosion additives is the primary issue.

Plugs filters and sticks HPCR injectors.

Filter systems that last 1000+ hours on 2500+ HP diesel engines don't last 250 hours in PA.

You would think in the USA in 2018 getting clean fuel wouldn't be an issue, but it is.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 325 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post