DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    GM 6.0 gas crew cab dually question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM 6.0 gas crew cab dually question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
Am I going to be disappointed towing a 24' box with this power package? Could it be worse than the '87 Pig Block TBI?
Grandchildren have outgrown riding 4 in the standard cab of the old Dually.
Spotted a nice low mile 6.0 gasser in Alabama.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
No, but they have a real nice issue with exhaust manifold bolts snapping the heads off! You will really hear the exhaust leak on a cold start if it has one........

I have a 2001 2500 6 liter, bought it new, towed my 12K Gooseneck for years. Big hills it wasn't thrilled about, but other than that, no issues. Gets 10mpg towing that heavy load.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Not like 7.4 TBI engines ever had exhaust manifold problems....LOL
Mine does not anymore, adding a heated O2 sensor at the Y-pipe junction cured a LOT of the '87 TBI issues. Wink

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Plus, a friend just told me that a buddy was playing with HP Tuners on a stock 6.0l in a truck. Went from 230rwhp to 260rwhp. That is a HUGE difference!

I told him I may need to buy it and get working on my old truck. Been doing EFI all my life so I know I can figure it out.

I bought a 2017 Duramax since we have three trailers and really needed a second truck. There is NO comparison to that truck and anything else. But damn those diesels are stupid money!

I still like my 2001, best stereo system I ever did in a vehicle, makes me pick it over the Duramax for anything but towing. Wink

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I spotted a '15, well equipped, low mile W/T truck priced right. The W/T trim really doesn't bother me, it has everything else, and traveling with grandkids, maybe the rubber interior is a plus. Big Grin

Trying to find a low mile crew cab that isn't 4x4, and affordable is a task in itself.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Plus, a friend just told me that a buddy was playing with HP Tuners on a stock 6.0l in a truck. Went from 230rwhp to 260rwhp. That is a HUGE difference!

interested in the that tune up if you get a hold of it

Posts: 35 | Location: right lane | Registered: April 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I have a 16 2500hd with a 6.0 in it and it tows my 30’ 12” xtra height trailer loaded with a dragster,golf cart,45 gallons of fuel,generator and tools no problem.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of ytoddmalibu
posted Hide Post
You won't have any towing issues with it but make sure to plan your trips with fuel stops included cause they sure are a thirsty rascle. I carry a extra 5 gallon can just to make a 200 mile round trip.

Todd P

3/28/2014 RIP Juli Pasch the love of my life for ever

Posts: 29 | Location: MidMichMotorplex | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Fuel stops??? My truck gets 6 mpg, I don't think it'll be an issue....
Every time I travel the bank calls and asks "who has your card and how are they using so much gasoline!" Eek

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
You will likely be ok, up there in “Flatsville”. It will be in 8/9 mpg range. Look for that tuner. Chad Brewer had one for several years, did good for him. It’s not a brute.
I’ve got 325,000mi on mine.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
For those towing with 6.0's have you noticed any oil consumption?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We used a 2009 Chevy 2500 6.0 6sp auto with manual shift option always manualie shifted it hardly ever seen 6th gear pulling 32ft United dual axle trailer loaded with 2 dragsters 4 wheeler drum fuel tools got anywhere from 9to11 mpg depending on speed wind and hills

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
For those towing with 6.0's have you noticed any oil consumption?

Yes, more than normal driving, but not terrible.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My 02 HD2500 6.0 Crew was my favorite truck ever, (until I got my D-Max). Mine towed really well, but it was a 4x4, so it had 4.10 gears in it. Would rather have had 3.73's for long highway drives, would have helped the MPG too, but might have hurt the towing some.
When my 28' box was fully loaded, (with golf cart, tools, generator, compressor, fuel, etc), it weighed 10K, and long uphills would challenge it some, but flatland it would pull it at 75 all day. 14-ish MPG normal highway (empty), best of 17 with a tailwind. 10 MPG towing. No exhaust issues or major malfunctions for 285,000 miles. A larger fuel tank would have been nice, it held 26 G from bone dry to capped off. Still had same power as new when I traded it off. It did have the annoying piston slap when it was cold, (was made during that brief period when the bean counters at GM, Ford & Dodge all convinced the manufacturing engineers that they didn't need to fit individual pistons to each bore). But never caused an issue.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
My 02 HD2500 6.0 Crew was my favorite truck ever, (until I got my D-Max). Mine towed really well, but it was a 4x4, so it had 4.10 gears in it. Would rather have had 3.73's for long highway drives, would have helped the MPG too, but might have hurt the towing some.
When my 28' box was fully loaded, (with golf cart, tools, generator, compressor, fuel, etc), it weighed 10K, and long uphills would challenge it some, but flatland it would pull it at 75 all day. 14-ish MPG normal highway (empty), best of 17 with a tailwind. 10 MPG towing. No exhaust issues or major malfunctions for 285,000 miles. A larger fuel tank would have been nice, it held 26 G from bone dry to capped off. Still had same power as new when I traded it off. It did have the annoying piston slap when it was cold, (was made during that brief period when the bean counters at GM, Ford & Dodge all convinced the manufacturing engineers that they didn't need to fit individual pistons to each bore). But never caused an issue.

Sounds very familiar! My 2001 is a 2500 6 liter 4wd Ext Cab 6ft bed. Would get 15/16 on the highway empty, 10 towing a 12k Gooseneck, never towed in OD, but never went above 70 either.

Piston slap since day 1 when I bought it new. Tank too small for towing, 180 miles and you are looking for a station. Always had 10 gallons in the trailer of Super just in case.....

Now talk about brake lines.......... Frown

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Now talk about brake lines.......... Frown

Must be a Rust Belt problem? Big Grin
Speaking of brake lines, I love that flexible green stuff they sell these days. Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Love my 6.0 2004 ext cab 3500 pulls great

PMWLLC

Posts: 7 | Location: At the track | Registered: December 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post