New
Find
Notify
Tools

sealing axles??
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Has anyone found a better way to seal an axle that has an o ring only on the bearing. My rear end is a Strange 35 spline with 1020 un-sealed bearing with o ring and cannot be used with a pressed in axle seal. Is there a better o ring available than the one Strange supplies or a better way to stop the leaks. The vent is open and everything is straight. Thanks in advance Bob

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have 35 spline Strange axles in a Dana 60 with Olds large bearings and O-ring seals. Anytime a leak develops, which is rare, I replace the bearings and the leak stops. This is the fix as explained by Strange tech. It isn't the O-ring that leaks on mine.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So you saying Joe C that axle seal on the face is leaking?

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Take some wheel bearing grease and apply a liberal coat on the o-ring and entire assembly that slides in the axle tube.

Wipe off excess once everything is bolted down and complete.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, grease is leaking through because of worn bearings. I would certainly do as Rietow explained when assembling the axles into the rear housing.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It may be the O ring is just not getting the job done.

Either way, the wheel bearing grease will.

I wouldn't waste my time and energy putting one together without it, ever.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Get some right stuff silicone and put a bead around the bearing and oring and never look back.

Posts: 2 | Location: Carbondale pa  | Registered: March 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenA184:
Get some right stuff silicone and put a bead around the bearing and oring and never look back.

That's a bad idea, glad I didn't take that approach last season moving 3 ring & pinions in and out of my rearend.

I'm fairly experienced, wheel bearing grease is the hot ticket, I use it as a gasket on the chunk as well.

It don't leak a drop like a gasket with silicone will.

Easy disassembly.

Liberal coat, wipe the excess of once everything is cranked down.

You'll thank me later.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenA184:

One thing I'd never use right stuff for, ever.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
replace the bearing

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He'll be back to say how wheel bearing grease worked like a charm to seal the o ring.

I have the same Strange O ring bearing system.

Like I said, I wouldn't waste my time or energy putting it back together without wheel bearing grease.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've always used a light coat of silicone around the bearing and inside the housing end. Never had a leak or a hard time getting the axle out but I'm gonna give the bearing grease a try the next time I have an axle out.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Does it matter which way the o ring is faced? Towards the splines or the flange? I’ve got to press bearings on my new axles now that my brake’s arrived so I now have the caliper bracket that is also the bearings retainer. It’s been 15/20 years since I pressed any on and don’t remember.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did find that the vent arrangement was too restrictive and replaced it with the proper piece and think I was a little over full on fluid. Going to go the Grease procedure and will be keeping and eye on it for it's median voyage with new motor at Phoenix next month. Thanks again Bob