Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BBC starter problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC starter problem
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a big block chevy in a dragster,at the race Saturday the starter kicked back when I cranked it for first round,still cranked but sounded like crap,thought I broke a tooth off flywheel,finished race and brought it home,jacked up to check flywheel,no broken teeth on flywheel or Bendix,I watched the Bendix as I spun over,the Bendix is going in and out of flexplate like it is loosing fire and getting it back,took starter apart found nothing wrong but put on spare and it works fine, where do I look now ?

Brad

Posts: 237 | Location: Georgia | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
sounds like the starter clutch, time for a rebuild or new starter

opinions are worth what you pay for them
1.015,2.88,4.46@ 153

Posts: 440 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Www.meziere.com

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13487 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If it sounds like it is grinding then the drive is slipping and can be replaced easily and fairly cheaply. I think I paid $50 for drive from local auto electric shop.

Posts: 2039 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
needs a replacement Bendix

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-54-421

a spare should be in every racer's trailer.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8105 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention this is a 139 Big Dawg starter,pinion gear is different,is the clutch part same as regular starter,can I buy the Tilton replacement clutch and swap the pinion gear out of my old one?

Brad

Posts: 237 | Location: Georgia | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why not just send it back to MARK..

Posts: 434 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad2386:
I forgot to mention this is a 139 Big Dawg starter,pinion gear is different,is the clutch part same as regular starter,can I buy the Tilton replacement clutch and swap the pinion gear out of my old one?

I believe the pinion gear pitch/tooth count differs for a 139 tooth flexplate. Call Tilton.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 8105 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Why not just send it back to MARK..

X2

Posts: 1045 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
payne will make it right. 540-471-0471.

ep-HOP=great customer service

Posts: 204 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
there's no reason to send his starter to anyone when changing the bendix takes maybe 5 minutes from start to finish.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
there's no reason to send his starter to anyone when changing the bendix takes maybe 5 minutes from start to finish.

Little Ed, according to you but you've never seen the starter or maybe he wants updated.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13487 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
payne will make it right = he will fix it or send parts, what ever the customer prefers

Posts: 204 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Call Mark he will tell you what you need to do. If says he can send you a new drive and you can install it yourself all the better! It truly is that easy!

Posts: 24 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
payne will make it right. 540-471-0471.

ep-HOP=great customer service

X 100 Pauley knows, Ed don't

Blaster Chemical Co.
www.abruzziracing.com
www.moserengineering.com
www.houseofpayneperformance.com
WiredTwoWin race car wiring
J & J Performance
Trick Flow Specialties

Posts: 2408 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
the OP don't need anyone to make his starter right, a new bendix will do that.

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
the OP don't need anyone to make his starter right, a new bendix will do that.

That's true but not everyone is as talented as you so some folks need to return it for service.
BB just sayin

Blaster Chemical Co.
www.abruzziracing.com
www.moserengineering.com
www.houseofpayneperformance.com
WiredTwoWin race car wiring
J & J Performance
Trick Flow Specialties

Posts: 2408 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
swapping the bendix out requires the same "talent" as changing a spark plug. If you can't do that, maybe it's time to rethink your hobby.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyones help,I talked to Mark and starter is now fixed,sprag was locked up

Brad

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
for future reference, the clutch is the same. The 139 tooth gear is the stock Hitachi gear.

Posts: 1112 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post