Find
Notify
Tools

Honda
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When I mentioned that I was thinking it was the small ones

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Today’s Ohm’s law lesson that relates to generators

Watts divided by voltage = Amps

7000 Watts divided by 120 volts = 53.3 Amps

Most generators show the max rated amps it’s capable of at either 120 or 240 if it’s a dual voltage output unit

A 240 unit could supply 1/2 of the Max Amps
per leg of the 120 rating

So a 7kw unit could supply about 26 amps per leg at 240 volts.

Typical larger Roof top RV AC units draw 15 amps running
RV’s generally have only 120 volt powered items in them but any 240 volt generators can supply the 120 volts just like a home service does. It’s 240 line to line and 120 line to neutral
Most appliances show their Requirements on a label somewhere.

If it’s in Watts just convert it to amps by dividing by the voltage

The higher amp loads on your generator the harder it works and gets hotter and just overall shortens it’s life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The Honda 7000 is 7000 surge watts, 5500 continuous.

The one big advantage of the 7000 is that it is EFI, no worries about ethanol in the fuel messing up the carburetor when the generator sits unused for weeks or months.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The surge Watts rating is really a clever way the manufacturers use to make their machines more attractive capability wise.

Continuous output is what really counts but they all do it anymore.

AC units, compressor motor starts do require a lot more amps when starting up and it’s way higher than running. The higher surge rating does help.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
The one big advantage of the 7000 is that it is EFI, no worries about ethanol in the fuel messing up the carburetor when the generator sits unused for weeks or months.

the easy cheap way to prevent that is to pour this into the gas tank

My 3000, scooter and golf cart all get it every off season and no starting issues coming April.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
What, there's no good generator made in America?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nope, not in this size for this use

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
sometimes at zmax 4 wide some one is there selling used hondas that were on lease or loan to nascar teams. several friends have bought them at pretty good savings and they look like new. not sure how to find who has them or how to get them. I will see what i can find out.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
golden gait trailers but my buddy thinks they have been bought by some rv company.

some where to start.

ep-they look like brand new and most are fairly low hours

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I just called them and they don’t sell Honda generators anymore.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Looking at the same EU7000iS as Ed, availability is an issue. After researching the EM6500SX that has the same engine but with carburetor, same power output but slightly louder, I purchased this. It has very good reviews from those that purchased. Less expensive and will get me through the annoying intermittent power outages in my area that are generally 4 - 8 hrs.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I know lots of guys get big gen sets because they don't want to use the one in the RV. I'm not sure why ? I run my coach gen from the time I pull into the track, till I leave. That's what they're made for.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Yes right up until your Onan or PowerTech fails for one reason or another and your now at a race with no power

Maybe it's 90 outside !

Having a backup for those out racing at a higher level and traveling a lot is a must

Plus a smaller unit to run only essentials makes a ton of sense...

Fixing built in units on site is either very difficult or not likely.....Accessibility, parts and just not being able to even diagnose the issue is common

I've had calls, texts and messages from racers all over the USA with generator problems. Looking for advice, help, parts.......for years!

At the track when I have been racing I guarantee during a race someone will be needing my input !!!

I have 2 Onan's myself and wanted to buy a smaller inverter portable just to run my AC in my MH at night with less noise and vibration.....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SCDIV1…KNOWS, I was one of those guys calling him when it was 90+ at Indy this past September. Without Rich, my friend Shawn Fricke and my pit neighbor Dyno Dave who volunteered to be my parts runner, I was going home on Monday stacked in the lanes waiting to be parked. It was there I learn from many that were pitted all around me that they too have had generator issues and most of them now run their MH on a portable generator.

Thanks again Rich, I owe you Not worthy and a reminder, my offer to help you this season still stands.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i have a honda 7000 fuel injection and when it is 90* plus it will start surging even on a slide outside the compartment. i put a fan inside the compartment blowing on the genset and took the covers off it and that keeps it cool enough to not surge

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
i have a honda 7000 fuel injection and when it is 90* plus it will start surging even on a slide outside the compartment. i put a fan inside the compartment blowing on the genset and took the covers off it and that keeps it cool enough to not surge

I had the same issue, the bottom of the fuel tank gets hot enough to boil the fuel. I would open the engine door where the recoil start is to keep the tank cooler, problem solved

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Bender nothing like having a new $4000 genset that quits at the track huh lolol

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
Bender nothing like having a new $4000 genset that quits at the track huh lolol

LOL, took me a day or so to figure out what was happening, but after opening the side door it was all good........

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
SCDIV1…KNOWS, I was one of those guys calling him when it was 90+ at Indy this past September. Without Rich, my friend Shawn Fricke and my pit neighbor Dyno Dave who volunteered to be my parts runner, I was going home on Monday stacked in the lanes waiting to be parked. It was there I learn from many that were pitted all around me that they too have had generator issues and most of them now run their MH on a portable generator.

Thanks again Rich, I owe you Not worthy and a reminder, my offer to help you this season still stands.

Thanks Ed and getting that machine fixed at the track was a real big accomplishment considering all the troubles. Much props to you guys and the effort it took. Shawn gets a gold star ! Never knew he was so tenacious.

I knew it might be possible since I had that one out at least once and knew there might be room to get in there

Drag racers are resourceful people, for sure.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
powers everything as planned and been trouble free