DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hoosier drag slick non-stickyness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoosier drag slick non-stickyness
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, I bought a brand-new pair of Hoosier 29x9 bias slicks this spring from Jeg's.

I'm used to seeing drag slicks get a little sticky and have gravel or other debris sticking to them when I return to the pits after a pass.

These new slicks are not getting sticky, regardless of doing a short, long or moderate burnout, hot track or cold. They feel quite dry.

My 60' times are not consistent; not like they used to be

As of this writing, they have about 50 passes on them.

I emailed Steve at Hoosier and he thought that one or more things could be going on with my truck.

He looked up the date code and declared that my sicks were made in March of 2019 (I bought them new this season).

Hoosier offered to sell a new pair for $97 each, shipping included.
I think about taking up the offer, but then I still must get them mounted and balanced.

And I'm so far behind in points now this season it could be a hopeless case anyway.

Remarks?
Thanks!
T.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bad Nusz,

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
What model tire?

Posts: 392 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
What model tire?

I'll need to look it up tomorrow. It has the DO9 compound though.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Why 9", can't you fit a little bigger like a 10.5?

Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
Have you always used this tire? If so, did it work fine in the past? If you have always used this tire and it worked, then maybe the tire is the issue. If it's different than what you usually use, the tire may not be right for your set up.

Seems pretty uncommon for a set of tires to now work, but anything is possible.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
After running Hoosier tires for years I am no longer a fan of them. With that said if they offered you a new set for $97 each shipped I would take him up on it and try it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My only complaint with the Hoosiers was due to pushing them, and them shaking. I have not yet pushed the MT's.
My only runs on borrowed MT's showed me that the reaction times I was producing were not as tightly grouped as I was used to seeing with the hoosiers. But I have a lot of testing yet to do to sneak up on that. My point is though, that the Hoosiers did everything I asked and never gave me a lick of anything to complain about until I started going faster than 1.06 60' times. Then it seemed that all bets were off and anything could happen shake wise from run to run. That Hoosier was just not the right tire for that. Other Hoosiers are probably better suited.
If I were to go back to running reasonably, I would jump on the Hoosiers. As far as quality control....they all have issues, especially now with limited staffing etc. If they are willing to sell you a new pair cheap, get em.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The “sticky” on your slicks is traction compound not the tires themselves.

A well prepped track and your tires will be very sticky and just the opposite on a track with less prep and as the race goes on.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:Hoosier offered to sell a new pair for $97 each, shipping included.
I think about taking up the offer, but then I still must get them mounted and balanced.

I would do this if it were me. Good Faith Deal. Then consider selling the ones you have as low runs which is true.

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
A few comments...

1. Hoosier slicks are on more drag cars than all others combined.

2. Serious racers don’t buy their slicks from summit or jegs exactly for the reason your new slicks are over a year old.

3. As has been asked, why are you running this this tire which is a stock eliminator tire and is available in two compounds, DO6 and DO7. If you have the DO7 compound you have the wrong compound too, it’s for a manual trans car.

4. I’ll bet your track conditions are JUNK too and/or your truck doesn’t work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have been running 30/9 hoosier radials for atleast the past 10 yrs ,avr 5.80's stock bodied nova without a problem,and many trips to the winners circle.....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Why 9", can't you fit a little bigger like a 10.5?

I have used 28" x 9" and 10.5" in the past with good results. Tire clearance of course is not a problem, though the 9" wide tires don't stick out as far.

The current tires are 29" tall, which I had reckoned would make up for being on the narrower side.

John Calvert can make his Mustang stand on its back bumper with a 9" slick, so I figured that....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bad Nusz,

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
The “sticky” on your slicks is traction compound not the tires themselves.

A well prepped track and your tires will be very sticky and just the opposite on a track with less prep and as the race goes on.

Heck, that had never occurred to me that the stickiness would come from the track itself, though the tires would still come back with a lot of debris on them late in the races.

There was an experienced poster on here some time ago who had remarked that if his tires didn't come back to the pits tacky, that he knew his tires were worn out.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:Hoosier offered to sell a new pair for $97 each, shipping included.

I would do this if it were me. Good Faith Deal. Then consider selling the ones you have as low runs which is true.

Thank you. I have not dismissed the idea just yet, and it does seem to reflect a lot of faith on Hoosier's part.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
he wasn't experienced with that comment.

Again what tire are you running, there is no DO9 compound.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
A few comments...

1. Hoosier slicks are on more drag cars than all others combined.

2. Serious racers don’t buy their slicks from summit or jegs exactly for the reason your new slicks are over a year old.

3. As has been asked, why are you running this this tire which is a stock eliminator tire and is available in two compounds, DO6 and DO7. If you have the DO7 compound you have the wrong compound too, it’s for a manual trans car.

4. I’ll bet your track conditions are JUNK too and/or your truck doesn’t work.

Thanks, Ed. The tires I have are the DO6 compound. I do worry about how old slicks are when I buy them; from now on I'll try to get them directly.

Track conditions can be spotty; it depends some on who did the prep that day.

My Cal-Tracs are set on the upper hole; I'll probably switch back to the lower hole, giving less 'hit' but a longer one.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the overwhelming response, guys. I'm grateful.

I just wanted to know if tires should feel sticky when you get back to the pits, or if being dry was the norm for others.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My experience it that it completely depends. Compound, ambient temp and sun, what you end up driving through on the way back to the pits. You can end up with the coating of dust/dirt that makes the slick feel completely not sticky. If it is hot and you don't have much of a drive to your pit after a run, sure they can be still sticky. Do you pick up rocks on the return road? If you dip a tire off the return road for a moment, you should know right away if there are rocks on the side.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bucky. I have a rented pit space back in the 'cheap seats', so I have some gravel pit road to drive on to get back to my space.

I'll probably quit worrying about it and just make darn sure that the new slicks I buy in the future are not some sort of 'new old stock'. ;^)

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Thanks, Bucky. I have a rented pit space back in the 'cheap seats', so I have some gravel pit road to drive on to get back to my space.

I'll probably quit worrying about it and just make darn sure that the new slicks I buy in the future are not some sort of 'new old stock'. ;^)

Have one of your buddies pour a little Coca Cola in front of the tire before you do a burnout. Do you have good axles I hope?

I used to get all my tires from one of the two places Ed says no serious racer gets their tires.

If I wasn't a serious racer wonder why I got the tires free?

Maybe they just thought I was a serious racer for no particular reason eh?.

They came marked and matched fresh date too.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post