DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Timing light purchase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timing light purchase
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Going to purchase a new timing light, looking for reasonable cost, back in the day there was warning that not all timing lights would work correctly with MSD. any suggestions?

Posts: 22 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Timing light just references a number, just be consistent with what you use and READ YOUR PLUGS! I have been using a non adjustable snap on for the last 10 years.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I used an adjustable Craftsman light for many years, with the adjustment dial set at zero. Worked fine with my MSD stuff.

I have a Flaming River battery operated light. I like the convenience of not having to tap into the fan circuit or something for power.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I mistakenly bought a C cell battery operated Proform timing light because it didn’t require a 12 volt source. It doesn’t produce enough light to see the timing marks, even when shielding the daylight.

Just wanted to warn you. Get a Snap-On or Craftsman timing light.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
x 2 flaming river battery powered. Works great just make sure harmonic is degree correctly and you are good to go.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how many different brands look exactly the same and use the same description...lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've had Craftsman,Snapon and Mac lights and they all worked great. MSD lists the old Craftsman chrome light as what they recommend.When I wanted a light for the trailer I ck'd Craigslist and found a like new chrome Craftsman light in the original box for cheap, can't beat it.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Over the years I've had Craftsman,Snapon and Mac lights and they all worked great. MSD lists the old Craftsman chrome light as what they recommend.When I wanted a light for the trailer I ck'd Craigslist and found a like new chrome Craftsman light in the original box for cheap, can't beat it.

Yep, when I bought my first MSD ignition and saw that's what they recommended I went to Sears. Still have the light and everyone borrows it at the track. But the battery operated one interests me because it's so hard to get to a power hook up. Guess I should address that issue or buy a battery powered one..lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Since I settled on a 12 volt Craftsman timing light I ran a power line from the Meziere water pump over to the drivers side of the car then fabricated a solid mount to hold a plug in connector for the light. The water pump is always running while I’m checking the timing so I have power for the light.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We've used flaming river as long as I can recall.

Posts: 238 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: October 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Electric Specialties Chicago Il.Prolite#130.We have bought every timing lite from old Sun To Snap on to MSD.The #130 is the best bang for the buck today.Self powered.Around 80$ at Amazon.We have one in our dyno room for 3 years no problem .Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
An interesting experiment to try sometime is several different timing lights on the same engine. It is not unusual to see one out of three read two degrees different.

Posts: 35 | Location: new jersey | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

^^^^this. Bought chrome craftman few years back and it's great. Far better than many I used over the years. Very stable and consistent. Will also agree timing is just a reference. Find what the motor likes (mph) and stick with it.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1435 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Last year i bought 3 of the chrome Craftsman timing lights off of Ebay. 2 were still unused in the boxes. I paid less than 100.00 for all 3 shipped. Now i can leave one in the trailer one in the garage and one in my shop.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Go to Ebay and type in Craftsman 2134 timing light. There are several on there but it looks like they have raised their price's a little.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edd Harney:
We've used flaming river as long as I can recall.

Me too, Flaming River for years

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Jut bought the electronic specialties 130. Top of the line timing light.

Posts: 62 | Location: home | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I just pull my golf cart up next to the car when checking timing and use the golf cart battery to power the timing light. I find that easier than finding a power source that’s easy to access on a dragster since my car has all weather-pac connectors. If you happen to keep a portable jump-box handy, that works too.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of rewireing my car now. One item I plan to add is a power post for my timing light.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a old mac tools TL82 that i bought years ago new and still works good . Mine is easy hooked up on the alternator wire for power.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post