DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Experience pro/con with GDI
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience pro/con with GDI
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I'm looking at a 2014 Corvette with a "ENGINE 6.2L (376 CI) V8 DI (455 hp [339.3 kW] @ 6000 rpm 460 lb-ft of torque [621.0 N-m] @ 4600 rpm)". I've heard some bad things about GDI, such as carboning up the intake valves, diluting the crankcase oil, etc. I would appreciate any insight/experience with this particular setup. Everything about the car is perfect, except I'm leery of GDI.

After further research I believe this is an LT1 and it has VVT (variable valve timing) which again seems like needless complexity. Input/opinions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Canted Valve,

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have an Acadia with gdi. Not a v8,a v6, but same principle. Also has vvt. 78xxx miles has been trouble free. Change oil/filter every 5000 miles. Air and fuel filter 15000 miles. My wife is the primary driver and drives it like she stole it all the time. From what I researched that is actually best for it as far as preventing carbon build up. I do worry about the timing chain and guides however. May just get them changed out around 100xxx. Power and throttle responds is very good, so far we like it. Hope it helps.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any issues related to GDI.

That being said, I believe that without gasoline constantly cleaning the backside of the intake valves, I would think there is the potential of build-up on the valves. Haven't seen it though.

My wife's '16 CR-V has GDI and for a 4 cylinder is has a surprising amount of low end torque compared to earlier CR-V's with the same engine with port injection.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife's '16 CR-V has GDI and for a 4 cylinder

Is it an "Earth Dreams Technology, i-VTEC"? If you can get through this goofy guy til 4'05" he points out the gasoline dilution issue.

quote:
...has a surprising amount of low end torque compared to earlier CR-V's with the same engine with port injection.

I don't question the performance advantage. It's long term reliability and "unintended consequences" of new yet unproven technology. At least in it's early stages.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the oil dilution issue. Guess I'll pay more attention to the oil when I change it.

This guy is probably smoking something illegal every day. Seems like a real douche nugget.......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have not seen any problems with carbon build up. I have seen some injector issues on the full size trucks from pluging up with missfires and SES lights coming on . Seen a few 6.2s in the full size trucks and SUVs have cam issues. Most of the timing chain failure on the 3.6 V6 are caused from lack of oil changes.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seen a few 6.2s in the full size trucks and SUVs have cam issues.

And those "cam issues" would be...... VVT related?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I change the oil in our Acadia myself. I have not noticed any dilution of the oil that I can tell. I change it a 5000 miles instead of relying on the oil life monitor. The monitor will go close to 10000 miles to a change. My hope is to avoid the timing chain issues. Always use valvoline 5w30 synthetic and wix/Napa filters.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not noticed any dilution of the oil that I can tell.

Thanks! Appreciate the real world input.

As an aside, I got an oil analysis on a 4.6L Ford mod motor. They recommended I change it a 6K miles. Shell Rotella T6 5w40 full syn.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lifter wheels taking lobes out and found one with a small chunk of metal broken out on the closing side causing a high RPM miss but did'nt make any noise. That was fun to find. We don't have any way to check them at work but i think some of the cam cores are soft.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was fun to find.

I bet it was! This latest iteration of the LT-1 is alleged to have a billet cam, hopefully it's up to the job. I'm sure it needs it as it has a tri-lobe that drives the high pressure GDI fuel pump. Oh, this engine management system shuts down 4 cyl., when possible, to try and satisfy the guvments ever intrusive demands. Needless complexity looking for an opportunity to fail.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yeah my friend & I were just talking about new cars and their mandated complexities. My turd is an antique....nothing to worry about. Even if I gotta put a couple hundred into it every now & then, it's still WAY cheaper to keep/maintain than anything 2005 or newer--and that's the way it's going to be, at least for me. My truck is an 03 and it's complex enough. I work on stuff daily and these newer diesels? Just stupid. I had to replace the supply pump on a tractor yesterday, just like working on a modern diesel truck....start taking stuff apart and a few hours and a pile of parts later, you're down to where you need to be. $5000 for a supply pump including labor....on a tractor. That's 1/4 the cost of a new one. 33hp tractor at that. Thank you Mr Government.

Girlfriend has an 09 acadia. I read up on timing chains. Told her if it starts to pick up a rough idle and/or code, we are selling it pronto. Ain't no way I'm going to put chains in it. Besides, that car has not been trouble free, it's little stuff every time she drives it-from the day she bought it (new).

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lot of online chatter about catch cans being able to avoid the carbon build up issue. I dunno.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I believe any valve carbon issues are caused by cheap/wrong grade motor oil combined with lack of proper maintenance. An engineer (from GM) told me once that inferior gasoline could also cause carbon build up on the valves. Seems strange to me since the back of the valves don't actually "see" gas. He's an engineer though. GM (as well as me) recommends using "top tier" gasoline. "Top tier" brands have a specific additive package. Around here the brands listed on the top tier website are the same price as "other" brands.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post