DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electric shifter triggers when ignition first turned on
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric shifter triggers when ignition first turned on
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Interesting problem here....

Since installing the racepak a couple years ago, when i turn the ignition to ON from OFF position, the tach signal goes up to full scale 14,XXX RPM on the racepak dash, the electric shift solenoid triggers, stays extended out until the tach signal starts dropping down and gets below shift point, shift solenoid retracts back to at rest position, and tach out put on racepak dash returns to zero. The problem is two fold because i have the racepak set to record anytime the RPM gets above a certain value (i think its 4000 RPM) so its generating useless recorded files everytime i turn the ignition on and off, but i also can't stand to hear that stupid shifter trigger every time i turn the ignition on for whatever reason (not to mention wasted cycles on the electric shift solenoid). If i hit the starter button and crank the motor over it immediately clears up (tach on dash goes to zero and shift solenoid retracts to normal position)

Racepak IQ3 dash/recorder, MSD 7AL3, Biondo electric shift solenoid, relay used for 12+ supply to shift solenoid, ARC membrane switch panel with relay board.

Its aggravating, i know i could remove the RPM trigger for the racepak record start and go back to the button, but i usually forget to press it every run and the only time i review data files is when something goes wrong so i'm fairly confident i wouldn't always press the button thus won't have files to review if and when i decide to review the.

Another way to minimize useless files is to put the power to the dash on anytime the main switch is on, so only once a day during a race i'd have the problem, but there's gotta be a better way.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's a self test operation, you might not be able to defeat it. ??
Following....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1620 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Do you have any extra switch/circuit that your could use for the racepak and turn it one once the car is running?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Microswitch on the shifter so the racepak can only record once low gear AND rpm are met?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes have plenty of extra switches, but kinda defeats the point of having the logger turned on between rounds to check on temps and what not while cooling it down.

The microswitch idea is a good one, wonder how to make the racepak look at the micro switch for the shifter.

Just thought of another option, i could supply power to the shift solenoid only when a separate switch is turned on, water pump maybe. I just hate to do that cause i know at some point i will forget to turn on that switch.

Best option here may be to power dash anytime the main switch is turned on.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just change the log trigger in the Racepak setup to DS RPM not engine RPM.

Call me if you need help setting it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg Kelley,

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post