DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    S10 Experts/Racers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S10 Experts/Racers
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Starting a new project bracket/Super Street 1995 S10. First effort with a full bodied vehicle. Questions? Converting from power steering to manual steering, is there a replacement steering box that is a bolt in swap? If so what should I be looking for? Second, converting from power brakes to manual 4 wheel disc brakes. Currently has disc on front, rear end is 8.8 Ford out of an explorer with disc brakes. Again is there a manual master cylinder conversion? what about a portioning valve? Any help guiding me in the right direction would be helpful.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
84+ S10 manual steering box is a direct bolt in.

The manual steering box can be found in S10/15 that came with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine but not all S10 with a 4 cylinder came with manual steering.

When looking in the aftermarket, you want the manual steering box with the 4 bolt top cover. The 3 bolt top cover is the old style box and is not a direct bolt in.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
As far as a master cylinder, I ended up using one from a 91 Ranger with manual brakes. It works great on my 4 wheel disc setup, and the brake line fittings were on the correct side for my car. That may or may not be an issue for you. I didn't have to install a stand alone proportioning valve on mine...I got one, just in case, it just wasn't an issue. 6.1x car for reference...

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Helpful info.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Use a Mopar style master cylinder, make sure you have proper pedal ratio going from power to manual

Don't use a proportioning valve or any residual valves

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hello, people , this is great info ,im doing an 03 now , sbc - #1 headers what are you using - im thinking long tube 15/8 hedman [priced ok] BUt the book say up to 95 only ??? WHY ? #2 Current with power brakes - [ big funny looking booster ,] ,what are my cheapest options, --- rear ahs 8.5 drums im keeping that , , All info is good - this is a 11.90 deal -

Posts: 5 | Location: ontario  | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
The "book" says the same about full size 88-98 trucks but they fit 'em all. I have a few S-10's in my lot and I have been under all of them at one time or the other - the cabs are the same underneath. It may have to do with O2 sensors since '95 was the last year of TBI and MPFI (or what passes for it on the 5.7's) started in '96. We added bungs to those we used on the full size trucks, they fit fine.
Please post the P/N of the Hedmans, I am transplanting a 383 that my son built into a '98 and don't want to strangle it with shorties and would like to look at 'em.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Re: braking system. Found a guy in Houston, Texas. Has a site called manualbrakes.com. has a lot of good info on brake system (master cylinder). Check it out. Headers. Hedman and Sanderson have headers that will work on most applications. A lot has to do with the placement of the motor mounts , ergo the engine placement.