DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LSM PC-100 Valve Spring On Head Tester Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LSM PC-100 Valve Spring On Head Tester Issue
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
When trying to use the LSM PC-100 on a set of Brodix BB2X heads there is no clearance to get the tool on the backside of the rocker. This is due to the clearance between the head and rocker on the intake rocker when at TDC. Any one else ever have this issue?

Basically the hook on the tool is to thick to fit between the head and the rocker.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have seen this with some testers, the valve cover rail is high and causes the issues. Is there enough meat to thin the tool to allow you to grab the rocker? If not, you can loosen the lash to check the springs.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
Any one else ever have this issue?

Basically the hook on the tool is too thick to fit between the head and the rocker.

Yes, same on the 3X head, the fix is to relieve the valve cover rail at each rocker

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed when you say relieve the valve cover rail I assume you mean to remove some material in order for the tool to fit correct?

I can see loosening the lash but trying to avoid that if possible. I do not want to modify the tool though.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My BMF heads are the same way on the intakes. Modifying the tool or rail won’t give enough clearance. Loosen the shaft bolts a bit till you can sneak the tool in.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
relieving the valve cover rail does in fact allow you to get the hook under the rocker on Brodix 3x heads

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
On mine i open the intake valve/rocker all the way ..then put the tool behind the rocker then close the valve to zero lash and that usually gives me enough room to make the pull...but not sure if that would work on yours.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have a way to turn the motor over by hand ( I mean with a break over) then just turn it till the rocker opens the valve and slide the spring pressure tool on the rocker then back motor til you have some lash and then check. Make sure when you back it up it doesn't hit top rail. Or on stud rockers you can just back the adjusting nut enough for you to slide it on. Good Luck

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post