DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Reusing MLS Gaskets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reusing MLS Gaskets
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in the technical, metallurgical and/or engineering reasons you could, couldn't.....should, shouldn't. Embossing has yielded and no longer properly deforms on the second use, etc....etc....etc. The name calling gets old..... I appreciate the responses that were on point. Real world experience of reusing, or actual failures after reusing. If someone can tell you why something is wrong or right is much better than the grade school tirades too often seen here.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I would be interested in the technical, metallurgical and/or engineering reasons you could, couldn't.....should, shouldn't. Embossing has yielded and no longer properly deforms on the second use, etc....etc....etc. The name calling gets old..... I appreciate the responses that were on point. Real world experience of reusing, or actual failures after reusing. If someone can tell you why something is wrong or right is much better than the grade school tirades too often seen here.

You develop an intuition over time. Your gut, spirit, soul.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would never underestimate real world experience and proven results, I have incredible respect for those things. I also like to know why. The reason behind them working or not working. I'm assuming that reusing these is probably very successful when the flatness, surface finish is still present and the preparation is done correctly, previous installation was torqued properly. etc....etc.... I could see where it could go south without these things. I read an interesting article on the testing done in regards to MLS gaskets and how the layers act as a (spring) dampener to reduce head movement. There is a reason MLS gaskets need such a low Ra. This is the type of mechanical reasoning I am talking about.

I am disappointed in how many of these potentially informative and spirited discussions turn into classless ego driven put down contests because of a differing opinion.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not care if you reuse them or not. I do not think I would on a boosted application but on N/A if you want to and they look good go for it.

Your car and it is a free Country (for now) and I do not have a problem with it.

Now I do believe it is a good idea to re-torque the heads after a few heat cycles. Some may disagree and that is fine but I lost a head gasket years ago and after I changed it I re-torqued them and found some that were not as tight. Since then I always re-toque them and never had another problem.
On my compressors which is not apples to apples of course but after a few heat cycles the nuts would be finger tight. That has three different gaskets on each cylinder and when it heats it expands and compresses gaskets and then when it cools they should be re-torqued. After a few heat cycles and re-torque you never have any more problems.

If you reuse a gasket it is already compressed and I would put it on same cylinder. I would not reuse it if you mill the heads or deck the block.

The other thing and I do not mean to sound bad but anytime you call a manufacturer that is in the business of selling as many of what ever it is they are selling of course they are going to say you need new. And they may be right, or they may be trying to sell you more head gaskets.......
I do not claim to know everything just stating my experiences.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I would not reuse them period Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post