DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Reusing MLS Gaskets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reusing MLS Gaskets
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Has anyone actually reused their MLS head gaskets? I've had lots of people say that you can but I'm looking for some real world experience. Thanks! Kevin

Posts: 196 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you can but I don't or wouldn't, the potential down side far exceeds the upside of saving $150

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Cometics....I have reused

Heads were off 2 times early in the life of my 565 and I reused the gaskets.

If they are in good shape I cleaned them and sprayed with copper coat and had zero problems......Dart block, Brodix heads...

My heads have been off 5-6 times since new and I've never resurfaced them....

Been using Cometics and yes I have replaced the gaskets since then but did use them over as I said at one time ....

Cometic also makes the best intake gaskets that are basically bulletproof...and in various thickness sizes

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Both my engines are built with Cometic head gaskets

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Cometics....I have reused

Heads were off 2 times early in the life of my 565 and I reused the gaskets.

If they are in good shape I cleaned them and sprayed with copper coat and had zero problems......Dart block, Brodix heads...

My heads have been off 5-6 times since new and I've never resurfaced them....

Been using Cometics and yes I have replaced the gaskets since then but did use them over as I said at one time ....

Cometic also makes the best intake gaskets that are basically bulletproof...and in various thickness sizes

This has been my experience as well. Throwing out $200 of gaskets is one thing. But the other is the lead time and lack of stock for the Cometics I use is kinda crazy. 20 psi hasn't revealed a leak yet.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When you use the copper coat are you just spraying the top and bottom sides or in between the layers as well?

Posts: 196 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
never have to worry about lead time and stock, I keep spares in the trailer of all my gaskets as well valve train parts, carbs, torque converters, fuel pump, master cylinders, brake pad/rotors/calipers, wheel studs, Morse cables, water pump, fans, hoses, fittings, ignition parts, batteries, delay box, switch panel, filters/fluids/oils, yada, yada, yada and if I need something I don't have, most everything is available overnight delivered to the track.

That's what you need to have at a minimum when you're competing for the divisional and world championship and not just racing for fun at your local track.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
That's what you need to have at a minimum when you're competing for the divisional and world championship and not just racing for fun at your local track.

You can list all the spares you want to stroke your ego but the truth and the facts are none of the parts will help the rods kicked out of the pan in your Firebird. If you’re competing at the level you think you are you should have a spare engine.

To the OP, I have 3 engines with Cometics and I reuse them.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
reused both brands of miltilayerd gaskets many times ,copper coat both sides.if copper coated in the beginning the coating on the gasket doesnt stick and come off when the gasket is removed.those gaskets remind me of the old steel shim gaskets chevrolet had.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
jamie you continue to add nothing to these threads, only comments to my posts. You're a hater and just jealous so why go out of your way to say hello to me at Lebanon? My advice to you is don't concern yourself with what I advise here. Focus on you and your program which clearly needs help. Meanwhile, Keep dreaming, work harder and maybe one day your life will be full of WIN as mine is and you can get past the 2nd round at the LODRS at Lebanon. Laughing Hard

FYI, that engine was brand new this season. No one expects a premium connecting rod to split vertically at the threads for the cap/rod bolt after 52 passes. FYI 2..The spare engine is being built now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Undertaker II:
When you use the copper coat are you just spraying the top and bottom sides or in between the layers as well?

Wipe them clean with something like brakekleen that leaves no residue...

Spray both sides with Copper Coat and hang them up to get somewhat dry.....then use em.
Don't try taking them apart...

It's an old habit that goes back many years and I've even sprayed FelPro Blue gaskets....They leak water sometimes....seen it...

We used silver header paint on steel shim gaskets 50 years ago.....Just an old habit.

I do not spray NEW Cometics and they don't leak....Maybe next time, if there ever is a next time I'll spray new gaskets with CC....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to carry a nut driver to drain the bowl, and we raced every Friday night with the guy who won the 2019 NHRA world championship, in the class ya'll race.

We raced every friday night 7-8 rounds 41 times a year, I never even brought a screwdriver. Never needed one either.

Why do you think you need all those parts? Just makes the load heavier, pulling it to the track.

As far as reusing cometic head gaskets, sure why not? We've done it numerous times.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course it must be true, because you said so on an internet message board. everything with you is past tense and unverifiable claims. What's his name and what year did he win the world in SC?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Kurt Damron...be my guess...

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
of course it must be true, because you said so on an internet message board. everything with you is past tense and unverifiable claims. What's his name and what year did he win the world in SC?

Ray Ray grew up at Sunshine dork LoL!

I never even carried a screwdriver to the track. You don't need none of that chit if the car is prepped properly.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We race with the Millers, good people, have pitted next to them, my next car maybe built by them and they have more spares than me. Oh and ray ray just won the world last year after trying for over a decade. I'll be sure to ask ray ray what he thinks of you. I'm sure I won't be surprised by his answer.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just went through this as some here know. I have in the past used them a second time. This time we fired the motor for 6 min break in.. Saw I had a problem and pulled the motor. Repaired issue. With rivets removed and bolts installed I took apart the gaskets to clean them. While cleaning I cut my fingers on the first one??? Closer inspection showed cracks on three left side and one right -raised circumference. First time I have ever seen this. I have used Hylomar spray and also copper coat thin on both sides. Like I said cometic first time I’ve ever seen this. Just received gaskets yesterday.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4489 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
send your engine to any of the nationally known engine builders for a freshen and tell them you want to reuse your MLS gaskets. Didn't think of that and see what they say.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
We race with the Millers, good people, have pitted next to them, my next car maybe built by them and they have more spares than me. Oh and ray ray just won the world last year after trying for over a decade. I'll be sure to ask ray ray what he thinks of you. I'm sure I won't be surprised by his answer.

You do that, he'll look at you like you're retarded.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
to describe you