DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking at Methanol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at Methanol
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
I like Eric and have worked with him several times. He does lovely work. And the Lunati cam would be a good choice for a bracket SBC in the 400" range.

Some years ago, when John Partridge was still with Linati [before the bought Bullet], I ran several Lunati cams, and all performed as expected. The Lunati 50140 was a classic SBC cam.

Yeah, really like the looks of Eric's work on these heads. I did alot of business with Richard at Lunati before he too moved on to Bullet Cams.

Yeah the 50140 is a killer Super Pro sbc cam.

I figured I'd throw this out here, this stuff is near impossible to get.

I can't even get an approx answer of when I can get a BBC roller cam, and I need four cams!

If it'll help someone get racing, PM me, I'll PM you back with the mans phone number.

The only used part is the Lunati cam.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had 2 Lunati roller cams I used in customers SB’s and my own for years.

50140 was the go to bracket cam in any 350 or bigger motor.

My favorite that I used in my stuff was a 50126 .281-.281 .430-.430 ground on a 106 split

Was an old SS grind nicknamed the “bear cam” since it pulled like a bear.

That’s what the famous tech guy called it at Lunati, I can’t recall his name anymore.

Also Cam Dynamics .316-.321 and a few other similar variants depending on engine size.

The Lunati 50140 worked very well on gas with a carb or
alcohol injected

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Of course, Joe Linati often answered the phone, but I think you are talking about John Partridge. John is now the owner of Bullet Cams [, and he is old Smile No offense, John if you read this, I am old also]

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Dale is the name that my memory is thinking it was. To long ago anymore to be sure about that though

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Speaking of these "old cams," The grinds mentioned in the above post were new in the late '80s into mid-'90s, so they do qualify as old; however, the 23 degree SBC is also aging. I see today that for sportsmen, bracket SBC [without getting into the radical and exotic], the 23 degree SBC has mostly been at its peak and fully developed [for the most part] since about the same timeline.

Granted, some better heads are on the market yet they do not produce significant gains over the older designs. For example, the Brodix Track 1 posted above is still a top-performing head, and it was designed around the late '80s.

So, although those cam designs are "old," they are still valid.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
New Brodix Track 1's. Weingartner ported, Weingartner flow sheet. No epoxy.
Got a new 2892 SV2 new in the box, and a brand new Bullet sbc roller camshaft, Identical to the camshaft in my Nova.

Nice !! Mike, is this for race gas or methanol? The cam spec is very similar to what is in my 388’s.
I like Erics work and have heads and intakes from him. The second intake copy of this one that was done by Eric is at Induction Solutions now being converted from MFI to EFI.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
New Brodix Track 1's. Weingartner ported

Another nobody, Internet forum salesman whose clients are the clueless, naive, misinformed and street/strip crowd. You won’t find anyone at Bradenton this week running his shyt either.

You're such a F*^$ head. You don't know anything about Eric or his customers. Unlike you, he understands air flow, not hot air. You're the only thing on here worse than Mike, and if not for your son, you'd have nothing to brag about. I sure he hates you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
go fuc yourself, you don't know what I know and you don't have a fucing clue about my son.

what I know about Eric is exactly what I've stated and years ago him begging me to port an intake manifold for my 522 to which I said no thanks

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
New Brodix Track 1's. Weingartner ported, Weingartner flow sheet. No epoxy.
Got a new 2892 SV2 new in the box, and a brand new Bullet sbc roller camshaft, Identical to the camshaft in my Nova.

Nice !! Mike, is this for race gas or methanol? The cam spec is very similar to what is in my 388’s.
I like Erics work and have heads and intakes from him. The second intake copy of this one that was done by Eric is at Induction Solutions now being converted from MFI to EFI.

I've heard of intake manifold port work being quantified gas or methanol, but this SV2 is new in the box.

It's my old top end. Heads, cam, lifters pushrods but I ran a Brodix intake. Not sure what this man did with it.

Like I said, all this stuff is near impossible to get now, I figured it might help someone.

I wish I could find a set of Crane gold rockers for a BBC, right about now.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ya can't even pickup the phone and call 1800-cam-help, and buy a cam today.

Pretty sad state of affairs for America.

If someone would have told ya it would be like this 20 years ago, you'd think they were crazy.

Yet here we are.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:I've heard of intake manifold port work being quantified gas or methanol, but this SV2 is new in the box.

Wasn’t referencing the intake, only asking if this complete combination was being used with gas or methanol.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:I've heard of intake manifold port work being quantified gas or methanol, but this SV2 is new in the box.

Wasn’t referencing the intake, only asking if this complete combination was being used with gas or methanol.

It's all for sale. The guy decided against a track car, changed his plans. Now we're doing a pump gas hyraulic roller 496 BBC.

Had he stayed on the 750 hp sbc track car course, I think it was gonna have a BLP gas dominator carb.

He's gonna run this carb on the pump gas 496, I bought two of these from JEGS last week, one for this guy, and one for the third gen Camaro guy.

I need to get me one too. The street scene is kicking down here in Florida.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Super secret cam grind. What a tool!

Can't have anyone else going 6.40's in a Nova..... Laughing Hard

6.40 113 mph.

It's not a secret, buy it.

He's got a catalog cam he don't mind the world see's the cam card.

This one was in 13 Super Pro finals on 21 entries at Sunshine.

Actually these heads were too, before this guy bought em and had Weingartner port em.

I Litterally ran that same lunati cam in 1992 in my track 1 headed 355.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dale is the name that my memory is thinking it was. To long ago anymore to be sure about that though

You might be thinking of Dave Cook who is now at cam Motion

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Has the OP considered E-85?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Could E-85 be less of an issue with epoxy or about the same as Methanol?

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Could E-85 be less of an issue with epoxy or about the same as Methanol?

You can clear coat over the epoxy to protect it. But yes, about the same result with either alcohol unprotected.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As a automotive painter what type of clearcoat and what brand would you reccomend for this app

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 408 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Super secret cam grind. What a tool!

Can't have anyone else going 6.40's in a Nova.....

Come back with your yap when you go 5.00 152mph, no throttle stop. K?

It'll ever happen. You'll always do whatever everyone else does, nothing original.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Cam is on it's way banjo, I had the guy put the cam box, in a big box floating in bubble wrap, so it doesn't get broken in two!

This oughta be interesting!! Good luck!!