DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking at Methanol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at Methanol
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted
I am wanting to switch over to methanol on my sbc. What aluminum heads do you like and why. I currently have track 1 with quite a bit of port work and have Jesel shaft rockers. It's a 414 ci 13.5 cr. steel rod in a 2400 lb. door car. The reason I am looking at heads is these have epoxy in the pushrod pinch. Just looking for opinions. Thanks

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Look at the ones Larry Woodfin recently put on the 3rd Gen and you won’t be disappointed.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For 23* heads the AFR 245 heads are pretty good. I think you will like alcohol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you want big power get a set of Brodix 21 degree…

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Just a side note / curiosity thing. I love running methanol, the added torque and cool running are great. The price is another bonus. I just saw today where the giant Danish Maersk shipping line has ordered 8 new container ships that will be methanol powered. Each will be over 1,000 feet long, capable of carrying 16,000 standard oversea containers, and will be able to make a round trip from China to Europe or the US on a single "tank". Fuel capacity? over 4 MILLION gallons of methanol. Eek
These 8 ships will be the first of their kind, and supposedly the way of future ocean transport. Wondering if that kind of increased demand on the methanol sources will eventually push up the price? (Imagine the potential for a fireball if a mishap occurs with that much alky onboard, yikes!)

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
"Green" methanol....

Hey at least we can call any alcohol powered vehicle "green"!

Posts: 183 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the Trick Flow Specialties 230 23 degree heads on anything?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Luvtruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
I am wanting to switch over to methanol on my sbc. What aluminum heads do you like and why. I currently have track 1 with quite a bit of port work and have Jesel shaft rockers. It's a 414 ci 13.5 cr. steel rod in a 2400 lb. door car. The reason I am looking at heads is these have epoxy in the pushrod pinch. Just looking for opinions. Thanks

You can run what you have with epoxy.

Posts: 242 | Location: Vanceboro NC | Registered: February 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
"Green" methanol....

Hey at least we can call any alcohol powered vehicle "green"!

I have always wondered what keeps those ships from going nuclear. Seems like a perfect application.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That depends on what epoxy was used my understanding is only splash zone stands up to methanol I know the JB weld in mine will not just bought some splash zone but love runnin the alcy

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 395 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
New Brodix Track 1's. Weingartner ported, Weingartner flow sheet. No epoxy.

Got a new 2892 SV2 new in the box, and a brand new Bullet sbc roller camshaft, Identical to the camshaft in my Nova.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Laughing very hard Super secret cam grind. What a tool!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Those parts would make a nice 400 " range engine with around 700 horse potential.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Super secret cam grind. What a tool!

He's switching to Comp Eliminator. Laughing Hard

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Those parts would make a nice 400 " range engine with around 700 horse potential.

The flow sheet from Weingartner says the heads flow 326 @700, same as the out of the box Brodix 233 Track 1's on my Nova.

That was the goal, duplicate the 3.875 stroke 4.185 bore 427 sbc in my car.

I turned a friend onto it all, he's now decided to build a pump gas hydraulic roller Big Block Chevy street car, instead of a track car.

750hp sbc combo

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
New Brodix Track 1's. Weingartner ported

Another nobody, Internet forum salesman whose clients are the clueless, naive, misinformed and street/strip crowd. You won’t find anyone at Bradenton this week running his shyt either.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Laughing very hard Super secret cam grind. What a tool!

Can't have anyone else going 6.40's in a Nova..... Laughing Hard

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
New Brodix Track 1's. Weingartner ported

Another nobody, Internet forum salesman whose clients are the clueless, naive, misinformed and street/strip crowd. You won’t find anyone at Bradenton this week running his shyt either.

None of this is mine, I'm not making a penny of it T I T milk Ed.

All of it it is impossible to find right, not a cam core left in the country.

I figured it might help someone looking to race, but can't get parts.

Quit projecting yourself on others, just because you can't get anyone to take that POS dragster you have for sale.

I don't get a penny, or want one, it's not my stuff. Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Super secret cam grind. What a tool!

Can't have anyone else going 6.40's in a Nova..... Laughing Hard

6.40 113 mph.

It's not a secret, buy it.

He's got a catalog cam he don't mind the world see's the cam card.

This one was in 13 Super Pro finals on 21 entries at Sunshine.

Actually these heads were too, before this guy bought em and had Weingartner port em.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I like Eric and have worked with him several times. He does lovely work. And the Lunati cam would be a good choice for a bracket SBC in the 400" range.

Some years ago, when John Partridge was still with Linati [before the bought Bullet], I ran several Lunati cams, and all performed as expected. The Lunati 50140 was a classic SBC cam.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post