Find
Notify
Tools

Afco BNC2
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted
Looking for some feedback on the BNC 2s. I’m currently running strange singles. The strange will control wheel stands fine by tightening extension but my truck works better on iffy tracks with the shocks set loose. Truck weighs a tick over 3000lbs 56f/44r%, 6.60s, 1.38 60ft

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Afco’s BNC shocks are all about the compression valving, less about the extension valving and yes they work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...N8w&feature=youtu.be

If your happy with the extension on your current shocks, send the shocks to them to be dyno’d and they can duplicate the valving in the their BNC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Afco’s BNC shocks are all about the compressor valving, less about the extension valving and yes they work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...N8w&feature=youtu.be

If your happy with the extension on your current shocks, send the shocks to them to be dyno’d and they can duplicate the valving in the their BNC.

Your car lands nice! Are you running the BNC or BNC2? I did not know they could valve a single adjustable to the BNC valving, thanks for the info.

David Hammons

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That’s 1783lbs./55% of its 3220lbs. on the nose. My BNC front shocks are at least 10 years old

Eric Saffel is or was the go to guy at Afco.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think my truck will need the more aggressive BNC2 valving since my junk is slow, doesn’t have any power, and sets the wheels down hard with the extension set loose when it lands. I’ll get in touch with Eric for his recommendation.

I would post a video of my current shocks loose vs tightened but I have no idea how to do it on this site.

David Hammons

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The valving on shocks/dampers that land like you dropped a bean bag on the ground, are all about progressive valving according to the speed of the shaft in the main body of the damper, compression and extension.

The energy is transformed/rearranged into heat within the oil of the damper.

It looks cool but I'm not exactly sure it's the hot ticket, unless the load created on the drive line can be repeated/duplicated. I'd think you'd need a super high end design damper.

I'd have to see tickets lined up to be convinced, other than applying it myself.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I had Eric coordinate revalving my afco bnc front shocks and whatever they did, it did not significantly improve them.

I highly recommend calling Shane at Competitive Suspension!!!!

My S10 is back halfed 4 link running 6.10-6.20s with a sbc....

Clark

Posts: 121 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
I had Eric coordinate revalving my afco bnc front shocks and whatever they did, it did not significantly improve them.

I highly recommend calling Shane at Competitive Suspension!!!!

My S10 is back halfed 4 link running 6.10-6.20s with a sbc....

Clark

I’ve heard good things about Competitive Suspension, thanks for the recommendation. I thought about calling Mencer or Shane but I’m cheap and would like to spend the least possible Big Grin. I’m stock suspension with “Assassin” bars. My truck repeats the number fairly decent but the landing is bouncy on well prepped tracks.

David Hammons

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I emailed Eric at Afco and got a response within 15 minutes. “Unfortunately Afco components are not compatible with Strange shocks”.

David Hammons

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been looking at the same thing for my 64. I currently also have Strange DA's up front but as the car has gotten faster and carrying the front higher I need more compression valving. Just undecided if I want to send the shock to Competitive Suspension or get new Afcos

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the rain maker:
I emailed Eric at Afco and got a response within 15 minutes. “Unfortunately Afco components are not compatible with Strange shocks”.

David, Afco can certainly dyno your existing shocks to determine the valving that you have been working with once you place an order for new shocks

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by the rain maker:

David, Afco can certainly dyno your existing shocks to determine the valving that you have been working with once you place an order for new shocks

Ahh gotcha, thanks

David Hammons

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s 1783lbs./55% of its 3220lbs. on the nose. My BNC front shocks are at least 10 years old

^^^Dead on

Eric is the man! They are local to me, and have used them for years with many cars like yours. And have recently switched to one of their new 4-way shocks on my dragster, and its pretty damn good. Dont let anybody fool you, afco is an equal to all shock companies out there. And this is somebody that IS NOT getting paid to say this.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, the afco shocks on your firebird, are they standard afco shocks or something custom ordered?

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Front shocks are coil over BNC, rears are standard DA coil overs and 18 years old

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

^^^Dead on

Eric is the man! They are local to me, and have used them for years with many cars like yours. And have recently switched to one of their new 4-way shocks on my dragster, and its pretty damn good. Dont let anybody fool you, afco is an equal to all shock companies out there. And this is somebody that IS NOT getting paid to say this.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a set of BNC2s on order

David Hammons

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Al Alguire you have a PM

David Hammons

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
good choice

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
My S10 carries the front 50' and the off the shelf BNC's were not right. Afco charged me $225 to revalve my BNC fronts. Shane's price is less and he knows S10's personally...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CAD,

Posts: 121 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
shane builds good shocks but the shock he would build which most likely would be an Afco for the OP's 6.60 car that shorts high 1.30s won't do anything that the BNC won't do.