DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD Grid or crank sensor issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Grid or crank sensor issue
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
For the past couple months I have had a issue with my car. You could go out and make 4 or 5 passes and the car would maybe move .008. Then out of the blue it would slow up .05 to .06 for a couple of passes. Then make another pass and it would pick the .05 to .06 right back up. Long story short I went through everything on the car. I finally changed the crank sensor,grid box and spark plugs. Now everything is fine. Went to a 3 day race and put 19 passes on the car and it didn't move more than .015 the whole weekend. Now I did notice when I took the plugs out you could see the timing line was way high. Like it was running to much timing. I'm thinking something must of been advancing the timing every now and then.

My question is, has anybody had problems like this? I'm thinking the grid is what's bad. But not total sure. Thanks

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the grid but what you describe is almost exactly what happens when the 7AL-3 boxes go bad. Car will run fine on one run but way slow the next. Timing lite will show timing rock-steady but if you bang on the box itself the timing jumps all over the place.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Not sure about the grid but what you describe is almost exactly what happens when the 7AL-3 boxes go bad. Car will run fine on one run but way slow the next. Timing lite will show timing rock-steady but if you bang on the box itself the timing jumps all over the place.

Billy, on the red box, the timing retards activate when they see ground,,, so internal grounding causes this problem. The new ones, I think that are black, require 12v to activate ground so these are better,,, hopefully lol.

Advancing timing is another issue. I have heard that the earlier grids have issues. I would think MSD has the serial numbers on those known to have problems.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have heard that some racers (TD) using the ICT feature and Step Retard have experience engine damage which they attributed it to a bad MSD 7730 Grid box that was not retarding timing. They said there problems were resolved by replacing the 7730 box.

Grid “cannot” advance timing more than what you set the static crank timing to.

Here’s the mistake some Grid users make when setting the initial timing in Grid and even re-checking it anytime afterwards.

If the Maximum Timing Reference value in the Settings / General tabs does not match Ignition Timing / Engine RPM tabs Main Timing value you cannot set the timing properly. Also, all the Step Retards need to be disabled with no +12v applied when setting timing.

The Grid 7730 firmware should be SW Version 1.7.6 . To check what version you have, attach to Grid and select Help / About.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
on the red box, the timing retards activate when they see ground,,, so internal grounding causes this problem.

This is directly from the MSD 7230 manual

Multi-Step Retard

There are four retard modules available with the 7AL-3. Each module is activated independently
by "removing" ground from the corresponding module. The controlling terminals are listed as RET-1
through RET-4 and are located on the third terminal strip. The modules can be activated in any order
and are cumulative unless deactivated. The maximum amount of retard allowed is a total of 20° even
if the modules add up to more than 20°.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Billy, on the red box, the timing retards activate when they see ground,,, so internal grounding causes this problem. The new ones, I think that are black, require 12v to activate ground so these are better,,, hopefully lol.

Advancing timing is another issue. I have heard that the earlier grids have issues. I would think MSD has the serial numbers on those known to have problems.

On the 7AL3...the step retard is active when it is removed from ground, or when 12v is applied. The new and old 7AL3s all work the same...MSD just reworded their explanation. It’s recommended that if not using the retard to install the zero chip and ground the retard terminal.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I have heard that some racers (TD) using the ICT feature and Step Retard have experience engine damage which they attributed it to a bad MSD 7730 Grid box that was not retarding timing. They said there problems were resolved by replacing the 7730 box.

Grid “cannot” advance timing more than what you set the static crank timing to.

Here’s the mistake some Grid users make when setting the initial timing in Grid and even re-checking it anytime afterwards.

If the Maximum Timing Reference value in the Settings / General tabs does not match Ignition Timing / Engine RPM tabs Main Timing value you cannot set the timing properly. Also, all the Step Retards need to be disabled with no +12v applied when setting timing.

The Grid 7730 firmware should be SW Version 1.7.6 . To check what version you have, attach to Grid and select Help / About.

Mark I don't know it was for sure advancing the timing. I put a timing light on it several times and never seen nothing. I just seen on my spark plugs where the timing mark was at and it looked really high. As for the timing it is set at 35 and the max is set at 35. I only use 1 step retard and it is activated when I spray nitrous.

I have been using this box for 3 years set up the same way. Never had one problem with it until this year. I know on the passes that it slowed up you could feel it. Like it was down on power. Maybe it was retard the timing.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
As for the timing it is set at 35 and the max is set at 35. I only use 1 step retard and it is activated when I spray nitrous.

I have been using this box for 3 years set up the same way. Never had one problem with it until this year. I know on the passes that it slowed up you could feel it. Like it was down on power. Maybe it was retard the timing.

If you look at the data acquisition (.dqi file) from Grid of the passes that felt down on power and et, you should be able to confirm that no retard was being activated. I would also look at the Timing In and Out channels to see if anything in these pulses is not uniform.

If full timing is confirmed in these dqi files of slower runs, it may be a faulty Grid and it may be not. You changed the crank sensor, Grid box and spark plugs all at the same time, so it makes it harder to determine which one could be causing the problem.

I would not hesitate re-installing the suspected bad Grid and running to see if now it works properly. If the older Grid is bad, it should slow the car again at some point. Then replace with the newer Grid 7730 again.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OhiomafiaWireGuy:
quote:
quote:

On the 7AL3...the step retard is active when it is removed from ground, or when 12v is applied. The new and old 7AL3s all work the same...MSD just reworded their explanation. It’s recommended that if not using the retard to install the zero chip and ground the retard terminal.

I have seen these retard 10 degrees or so with all zeros in the box!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Two new members in this thread. Welcome

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post