DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Head stud sealant?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head stud sealant?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
What's everyone's go to thread sealer on a GM block? I'm thinking "right stuff"

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i would use a true thread sealer.i have used several brands but arp is hard to beat

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I always use the black tar stuff with the brush in the cap.It's made by Permatex I think. And you can go to a plumbing supply house and they sell these large white crayon looking sticks that you just scrub on the threads before you install the bools/studs..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Locktite 567

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I used red silicone last time I had studs in a water jacket...worked like a charm

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've used both Permatex Indian Head sealant and the equivalent ARP version. Both worked great but you are not going to save the head gasket if the Indian Head sealant gets on the surface of the gasket, and Cometic's aren't cheap.

Bob

Posts: 3079 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I vividly remember cleaning up the threads of the block that was in a car I bought that had used permatex (#2 I think). What a PITA, and I assume right stuff would be the same, although do the job, just a ***** to clean up. When it went back together I used plumbers silicone paste, which is used in steam fittings, and all was well.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Locktite 567

^^^^^^^ Yep. Used this in industry. Talk to any steam / pipe fitter.

Posts: 2446 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Locktite 567

^^^^^^^ Yep. Used this in industry. Talk to any steam / pipe fitter.

I spent 7 years working on steam sterilizers, that all I used, nothing will leak past this stuff. I use it on the rocker stand bolts that go into the intake port on my current engine and also any water or oil fittings

Posts: 2409 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
I always use the black tar stuff with the brush in the cap.It's made by Permatex I think. And you can go to a plumbing supply house and they sell these large white crayon looking sticks that you just scrub on the threads before you install the bools/studs..

I have used the black Permatex tar looking stuff. It worked well but what a mess.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3980 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Indian Head Shellac or Permatex # 2

Messy but seals very well.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
I could never get Teflon thread sealers to work, Permatex #2 for me every time now.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A wire wheel cleans bolts/studs easily..

Lacquer thinner is your friend also to clean things as well as your hands....

Silicone is a poor choice and always has been. It was never meant as a thread sealer....period.

Ends up in the oil pan and oil pump pickup when you use tons of it

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Silicone is a poor choice and always has been.

Ultra gray is on another level from conventional silicone.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post