DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer tires. Again......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer tires. Again......
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
Okay so I have blown out 3 trailer tires in last 200 miles. My trailer is a 34 foot tag enclosed trailer. with 225/75-15 D range tires on 6 lug wheels.

I found some G range tires but not sure if they will work on the rims? These tires run at 110 PSI.

I talked to several tire companies and they both said go to an E rated tire but I want to go heavier duty and eliminate the problem. Going from a D rated tire to an E rated is not a whole lot heavier tire.

Will the G rated tire work on regular rims?

If not where do you get these special rims?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3964 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Since I switched to Firestone Transforce LT tires I have not had a blow out in 2 years.

I have a 225/75/R16 tire. If you can fit a 16 wheel on your trailer that would also be a step in the right direction

Get away from the trailer tire and go to a light truck tire IMO

Posts: 2400 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Consider the NEW (2017) GoodYear Endurance ST225/75R15 which are load range E. These are new made in USA trailer specific tires that are rated for up to 87 mph towing.

I just replaced my 5 year old Maxxis 15” E rated trailer tires (to include spare) with these. Others I know that switched to these have had excellent results.

https://corporate.goodyear.com...ed_trailer_tire.html

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A little bit of info from Trailer Toad.

http://www.trailertoad.com/id27.html

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Here are the tires I bought but was told they require heavier duty rims yet nobody seems to know about.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New...p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are some seriously heavy duty tires they weigh 45 Lbs each! My old tires and rims only weighed 35 combined.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Curly1,

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3964 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
16” and transforce... i have been preaching it for years...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Which brings up another thing that pisses me off. How come all of the trailer manufacturers put too small of tires on there? One of my trailers came from factory with C Load Range tires? WTF? They saved what $32 on the set of tires and if you put anything at all in the trailer you are overloaded and dangerous.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Surprise, the trailer manufacturers DGAF about you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes the std rims are good for only 80psi Max . I bought the Longmarch 235/85/16 G rated 14 ply steel radial. They require 100 psi approved and u can find them on Amazon. I decided to blast and paint mine.
6 lug rims on yours I take it? Remco also makes HD trailer rims.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
G rated requires a different wheel that certifies over 100 psi.
Etrailer. com has 6 lug 16 inch wheels under 50 bucks each, run 225 75 R16 LT truck tires which are E rated. 80 psi.
A normal height triple axle is fine with 6 E rated unless it is overloaded.
Parking on dirt rots the tires, park on concrete or wood planks.
Uncovered rots the tires, and some mistake the valve stem rotting for tire failure.Cheap valve stems rot and leak, no matter what use metal made for high pressure.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Surprise, the trailer manufacturers DGAF about you.

They build for the masses, most want cheap.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I should be quiet but as I have said before my 30ft, 1ft extra high, 3 axel Pace has for 20 years (its a 99) had 235X75X15 Wranglers from Walmart on it. I used to put a ton of miles on it but not so much now. I ran 40lbs of air and ran them till the tread started to go then got 6 more.....Check the air EVERY time you start or stop on the road----most go because of low air or just age out. I had 2 go in 20 years, hit something each time. I read some of these tire threads on here and just shake my head!!!!!

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The OP bought 15” G rated tires. I do not believe you can find a 15” steel rim rated over 3000 lbs to up the tire pressure to 100 psi.

Most 15” steel trailer wheels are 75 – 80 psi rated. So rim them up and do not exceed the rim psi rating.

Just because the “G” max trailer tire pressure is 110 psi doesn’t mean you have to run them that high.

My E load rated trailer tires are rated 80 psi maximum. I’ve always run them at 65 psi. Never a problem. Same for my truck …. 80 psi rated and run them at 45 psi.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I put 6 new Goodyear Endurance tires on my trailer, so far I love them.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been running the Goodyear Endurance tires since 2016 and so far love them. And being a desert dweller that's EXCEPTIONAL performance and life from a trailer tire. We are lucky to get a couple years out of them it seems and these things ROCK!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://www.knktrailers.com/tires.html
This is where I buy my tires mounted on wheels. They have the g rated with wheels, but it looks like only 16's. I run 16's and I can sell my used for 1/2 price every few years,cheaper than blowouts.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
most rims are not 110 lbs rated,gred said 16,16,16 i agree

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The old adage "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?" works equally well with trailer tires. You want to go 60 mph or do you want to go 75 mph? My own experience has been that the speed you tow at has a LOT more impact on what will last on your trailer than what size and/or brand you select. But hey, debate on. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
The OP bought 15” G rated tires. I do not believe you can find a 15” steel rim rated over 3000 lbs to up the tire pressure to 100 psi.

Most 15” steel trailer wheels are 75 – 80 psi rated. So rim them up and do not exceed the rim psi rating.

Just because the “G” max trailer tire pressure is 110 psi doesn’t mean you have to run them that high.

My E load rated trailer tires are rated 80 psi maximum. I’ve always run them at 65 psi. Never a problem. Same for my truck …. 80 psi rated and run them at 45 psi.

Mark is dead on... been doing this for 12 year one blowout ( picked up a rim screw in the pits )

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post