DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer tires. Again......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer tires. Again......
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tom 396 has hit the nail on the head. Trailer tires are not built to run 70+ mph for extended times. They will fail. If you must tow that fast or faster the you are much better off stepping up to LT tires.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Tom 396 has hit the nail on the head. Trailer tires are not built to run 70+ mph for extended times. They will fail. If you must tow that fast or faster the you are much better off stepping up to LT tires.

Unlike those trailer tires made in China and Malaysia that are only 65 mph speed rated (marked on the sidewall), the New Made in USA Goodyear Endurance tires are speed rated “N” to 87 mph.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...chpage.jsp?techid=35

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
16” and transforce... i have been preaching it for years...

And I took his advice over 2 years ago on the Transforce tires and haven't looked back.

If you truly want to quit having tire issues, buy 16 inch rims and some Firestone Transforce LT tires. Sure its a lot of money but how much is it worth to you not being on the side of the road with a blow out?

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I tow my 18' open trailer behind a 2017 Suburban. It'll go 100mph or more I'm sure, but I don't like to go but 65-70 mph when towing, MAYBE about 75 if I'm in a hell of a hurry.

Almost every Saturday, on my way to the track, somebody with a huge enclosed trailer and a dually will blow by me going 80-85. Then when I get to the gate at the track they are maybe 2 or 3 spots ahead of me in line at the gate. Funny stuff Smile

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
With this heavy trailer I have I usually tow about 60-65 MPH and never over 75 even for short times like to pass someone.

One thing that is frustrating I talked to several places about trailer tires and they did not know nothing about heavier duty rims yet tires clearly state require heavy duty rims.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Most tire shops know very little about car and truck tires and even less about trailer tires.
As far as running LT tires on a large enclosed it's all fun and games if you tow with a dually. I can say that there was w world of difference when I went from LT tires on my 28' with 16" tires to ST trailer tires towing with my SRW K2500 pickup. First set was an improvement they were Trailer King, then I bough a set of Provider's already mounted on new wheels and they are speed rated, they were even better than the Trailer Kings. I bought a non mounted one to replace my spare and was amazed how heavy and stiff the sidewall was.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have run Maxxis trailer tires for years. They were always made in Taiwan, but the set I got this year were made in Thailand. I could not make Goodyear Marathons last anytime. The Maxxis trailer tires have been great. My experience with several trailers and trucks has been the same as Eman.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Since I switched to Firestone Transforce LT tires I have not had a blow out in 2 years.

I have a 225/75/R16 tire. If you can fit a 16 wheel on your trailer that would also be a step in the right direction

Get away from the trailer tire and go to a light truck tire IMO

This. I'm assuming its a triple axle but if its dual,then this is even more important.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of MM Racing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Consider the NEW (2017) GoodYear Endurance ST225/75R15 which are load range E. These are new made in USA trailer specific tires that are rated for up to 87 mph towing.

I just replaced my 5 year old Maxxis 15” E rated trailer tires (to include spare) with these. Others I know that switched to these have had excellent results.

https://corporate.goodyear.com...ed_trailer_tire.html

Just got a set of 4 for my trailer. Hope the tires perform as well as I have heard.

-Phil Watkins
Midnight Machine Racing

Posts: 133 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Trailer Toad can get you the new All-Steel Towmaster Load Range F 15" St225/75R15 and either the correct heavier wheel or a special alloy wheel in machined silver or blacked out.
Right now prices change daily but we can still get them as of last week.

If we can help Message me on here or through Trailer Toad on Facebook.

Stay safe out there and if we race....give me plenty of Social Distancing..Appreciate it!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m curious.

Where are 15” G load rated Transeagle tires manufactured??

Where are F load rated Towmaster tires manufactured??

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Research Greenball Corp. On The TM's. Would i try a set sure. Steel/Steel. With the proper rim rating. Us old people drive slow, no heat intended
We'll get there.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Curly if you put those new tires on your rims and just put 80 lbs. in them would that work and be safe?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Most every brand of trailer tires were made in China a few years ago.....some were made in Taiwan and Mexico

I had a set of Titans and the Made in China logo was hidden on the bead area. I blew one bad one night.....

Put Carlisles on....JUNK in a couple years..

Put Goodyear Marathons on....never lost one but found they were failing and treads were a mess after making it home from one race...that I won....

Put a set of GoodYear Endurance on and they have been fine....but admittedly my trailer sits in the driveway more and more anymore....

Maxxis had a good rep and they made an E rated 15" tire....

The Goodyears are a very well built looking tire compared to most others...

Going to 16" rims and LT tires is for sure the best option.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Cheap trailer tire insurance...Buy the set of tire covers they sell at harbor Freight. Put them on every time you get home. I keep them in the trailer and use them on the tires on the race car that are in the sun at the track.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We had a new trailer with junk tires
Sidewall failed on one at approx. 3000 miles
lucky no damage

Spent the $900 on the LT TransForce per JR and others.

We are planning on no more problems.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Goodyear Endurance on my Intech trailer since new, put a lot miles on them the past 3 years and no issues so far.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
I tow my 18' open trailer behind a 2017 Suburban. It'll go 100mph or more I'm sure, but I don't like to go but 65-70 mph when towing, MAYBE about 75 if I'm in a hell of a hurry.

Almost every Saturday, on my way to the track, somebody with a huge enclosed trailer and a dually will blow by me going 80-85. Then when I get to the gate at the track they are maybe 2 or 3 spots ahead of me in line at the gate. Funny stuff Smile

I have a 32ft RV towing a 28'ft box. I get on the highway and do a nice, easy 65 - mostly in the right lane, might get up to 70 here and there but I'll have 2-3 rigs blowing pass me every time and when I get to the track they're right up there where I see them.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Man, I fought the 15's for a while, keep blowing out tires and changing on the side of the road was no fun. Went to some E rated then rims would not hold.
16's made my life better and I have a set of Michelin LT on it now that I will probably change when I get going again, they look like new but are close to 5 years old.
I look down and I will be going 80 to 85. that Duramax makes you think you don't have a trailer.

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just took my 6 year old GOODYEAR G614 off an replaced....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post