DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mirrors on fiberglass doors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrors on fiberglass doors
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Is anybody running stock mirrors mounted on fiberglass doors and can you see out of them going down the track or do they vibrate too much?
I am thinking of putting some on my car to see the fast cars coming up behind me but don’t want to drill holes then find out you can’t see worth a crap due to vibrations.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I like the old Wink mirror, that would nearly span the width of the windshield. You only have to look up.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What body? Shape makes a big difference in stiffness. Maybe a little experiment in placement might help. Duct tape can be your friend.My experience has been everything on a race car shakes some.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
95 Monte Carlo
Was thinking of power ones so I can adjust from inside Incase one gets bumped.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good body curve. Also a piece of plywood glued or glassed to inside of door under mirror will stiffen it a lot.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted Hide Post
I have stock mirrors on my aftermarket Corvette fiberglass body on both sides of my door car and they are dead nuts tight any place on the track including the finish line. Had them on for 30 years. I then put Chopper mirrors on my dragster 12 years ago and they are rock solid going thru the traps at 191mph. Go ahead and do it ! Then go throw some asbestos dust at your opponent !
Oh and they're awesome backing up !

Posts: 21 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROLLIN':
I have stock mirrors on my aftermarket Corvette fiberglass body on both sides of my door car and they are dead nuts tight any place on the track including the finish line. Had them on for 30 years. I then put Chopper mirrors on my dragster 12 years ago and they are rock solid going thru the traps at 191mph. Go ahead and do it ! Then go throw some asbestos dust at your opponent !
Oh and they're awesome backing up !

Mirrors on a dragster would like to see picture

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies. My drivers side window got broke where the mirro would be so I was gonna try just that side first to cover the broken window but will do both sides now just gonna try using the holes for the window screws so if I don’t like it I can remove and not have a bunch of holes in my door.