DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1150 quick fuel float issue.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1150 quick fuel float issue.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I fueled up the dragster for the first time this year and hit the test switch on the fuel pump, the rear bowl flooded. I removed the bowl and the float had two white stalagtites hanging from the bottom of it and stuck to the floor of the bowl.
I'm running Q16 and assume the center of the float is melting and in the absence of fuel hung down and took root. I realize it's time for floats but wondered if anyone had seen anything like this?

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Do you NEED to run Q-16? In other words if you’re bracket racing in my humble opinion it’s an unnecessary expense. Replace the floats, use up the Q and move to something else. Good luck.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Caused by moisture absorbed by the fuel. When it sits for any length of time drain it and run a small amount of standard race gas thru it, av gas, or pull the bowls and spray it down with WD40. Not as bad as alcohols but it still will absorb moisture. Replace your floats to be safe.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm reluctant to change anything when we're running well.New floats for sure. Thanks.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
To expand on jmarkaudio, I believe I would take out a bottom bowl screw and drain it then spray some WD-40 down the bowl vents. Then after a while pull a bowl and see if you are good to go.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Casteel
posted Hide Post
Book told me to turn the pump off and run it dry when done for the weekend. I've done that for 9 years and have had zero problems with Q16. I turn the pump off when loading and just let it run out of fuel.

Posts: 4 | Location: Thief River Falls, Mn | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post