DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    454 head suggestion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 head suggestion
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
It's going to be s little while. I'm finishing putting a 555 In my nova this weekend. Then putting the Vega on the lift and start putting it to together. Once I run it I will post results.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Its been 5 months and havent heard how this build came out? Was hopeing you would post numbers. I have an old Chevy with a 4.00 stroke and a little bigger bore 4.560 and the weight is close to yours. It went 5.359 at 130. This was Friday at Kil Kare in Ohio 10/09/2020. Did you get the same advice from other web sites as this one or was it different?

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
His 454 ain’t your 522

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I'm still working on it. Changing spool and axles then lexan.Had stock axles in it. Was a total build from ground up. I will post soon I hope.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Last night I got to test the vega. The outcome was pretty bad. I made two passes one in right lane and one in the left. Ran 6.71 both lanes. Im a sec slow for some reason. The car left good but really didnt make any power. I was thinking atleast 5.80s. Not sure where to start.

quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Its been 5 months and havent heard how this build came out? Was hopeing you would post numbers. I have an old Chevy with a 4.00 stroke and a little bigger bore 4.560 and the weight is close to yours. It went 5.359 at 130. This was Friday at Kil Kare in Ohio 10/09/2020. Did you get the same advice from other web sites as this one or was it different?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ok start over whats in that motor and what does the car weight. If you get a chance post in your next post so I can see it all in one place. Also trans, rear gear, converter, and also are you on e85 with that combo.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I did use a convertor that I bought, so not sure on that it's a 6000 stall. The same set up with the exception of the 049 heads are ported. It ran 630 in my 3200 lb nova. 454, bored 030 over. Trw 12.5 pistons, 726/722 bullet roller. E85 fuel..power glide 1.76, 513 gear,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Nova Cane At my first impression it doesent sound like it is accelerating as it should but you already know that. Double check timming should be at least 34 either locked in or at 2000 rpm make sure throttle is full open check to see if somehow one of the main jets isnt pluged from sitting make sure a float hasent collapsed or way out of adjustment. I know all simple stuff and you have probabally checked but you never know when something stupied rears it head. If it has a crank trigger if you have a spare change out as I have personally seen a weak one be 3 tenths slow and if I did not see it for myself I would have doubted it. Next thing a little bit more involved you guessed it the converter. With that gear and those heads it should be in the high five range as assuming the car is 2600-2700 lbs.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I checked timing its on 34 degrees. I checked the stall its 5100. I double checked tdc to make sure the timing was right.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
convertor about 400 tight,but could be due to power down for some reason

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
What's the entire time slip look like ??

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Novacane, I hate to ask this because it cauaes you some work. Is there a chance the converter could be an issue as maybe swap a known good one in and see. Like I said hate to cause you more work but I will be 66 this month and with out seeing the car leave or hearing how it spins up its a very hard thing to pin point. The combination suggests as you already suspect there is way more performance in that car than its showing at present. My Camaro at 3250 lbs. with an iron headed 468, 6300 converter 4.30 gear .722/.722-108 l/s comp roller would run 6.14-6.17 but this is not about that car I used that as an example. With your 5.13 it should 60 foot very well and thats a big part of the total E.T for a car like that. In my opinion. I think 1320racer used the 049 heads on the Chevelle but I am not sure maybe he will give some insight if he sees this.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Check the polarity on the purple and violet wires. Ohm check the cap and wires.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Slickster, I just swapped out the converter with one I just got back from PTC. Its around 5600 stall. I have another carb im bringing with me at the next test and tune. Im thinking its in the converter or carb. Every thing else is the same that ran 630's in the 3200 lb nova except the new distributor.The vega weighs 2750 with me in it. Being 500 lbs lighter I would think atleast half a sec faster should be around 580/590. And the headers are big tubed because thats all I can find to fit the vega.

quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Novacane, I hate to ask this because it cauaes you some work. Is there a chance the converter could be an issue as maybe swap a known good one in and see. Like I said hate to cause you more work but I will be 66 this month and with out seeing the car leave or hearing how it spins up its a very hard thing to pin point. The combination suggests as you already suspect there is way more performance in that car than its showing at present. My Camaro at 3250 lbs. with an iron headed 468, 6300 converter 4.30 gear .722/.722-108 l/s comp roller would run 6.14-6.17 but this is not about that car I used that as an example. With your 5.13 it should 60 foot very well and thats a big part of the total E.T for a car like that. In my opinion. I think 1320racer used the 049 heads on the Chevelle but I am not sure maybe he will give some insight if he sees this.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Novacaine, Super and got my fingers crossed that all will be good for you. Keep posted. And Mike Reitow also makes a real over looked point as I have witnessed that on a super gas (9.90) car about 15 years ago.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My 67 camaro is 500 lbs lighter than my 70 Nova....Two different engines 477&496 run in both cars ,neither gained me a 1/2 sec in Camaro in the 1/8th mile.Averaged between 3&3.5 tenths.

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 67 camaro is 500 lbs lighter than my 70 Nova....Two different engines 477&496 run in both cars ,neither gained me a 1/2 sec in Camaro in the 1/8th mile.Averaged between 3&3.5 tenths.

I've had similar results with weight in all my BB cars. The .10 per 100lbs never worked out.

I'd still like to see a time slip to see where its so slow ..............

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and never will

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Post a time slip and the cam card specs

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post