Find
Notify
Tools

Engine Stands
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Happy Thanksgiving to all families!

I'm trying to step up my engine stand program, I've got an LS here and another 462 BBC, twin engine to the 71 split bumper engine, that engine came out so nice I'm doing one for myself, or for consignment, whichever comes first.

I just pulled the trigger on one of these through Amazon. The reviews on these are horrible, but I'm reading the specific complaints and they seem to be trivial problems, other than a few stating the box it came in were tore up and pieces were missing.

Anyway long story short, I think if the crank is efficient it'll be a killer stand I can turn an engine to any angle to work on it.

I'm wondering if anyone has one? How do you like it? Or is there another stand I missed along the lines of this one for $500?

What do you got? Or like for a engine stand?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
My buddy has the summit racing version of a stand like that. The geared head is a game changer! Makes rotating the engine WAY easier. He's had duramax's on it without issue. I know I'm getting one.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We actually bought two of these engine stands. A guy I'm doing a 496 BBC bought one as well on my suggestion. So I'm curious if anyone has used one?

Another good value I saw on Amazon is these 500 lb load capacity Rubbermaid composite commercial carts. I've been looking at these at Grainger for forever it seems for $300. I found one on the same part# on Amazon for $143.

This is a big commercial cart 28" x 43"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
My buddy has the summit racing version of a stand like that. The geared head is a game changer! Makes rotating the engine WAY easier. He's had duramax's on it without issue. I know I'm getting one.

Good to hear! That's what I was thinking too!

It started yesterday a guy calls for a suggestion on an engine stand. I start thinking my stand really sucks!

So I go on line and find this one, suggest it to him. I think he ordered it direct from JEGS. I saw it for a little less money this morning on Amazon, and pulled the trigger on one for myself.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've got 40 years of every kind of nut, bolt, washer you can think of I've collected over the years, in a grey plastic box. it's probably 12"w x 18"L x 14" deep full to the brim.

It's a hardware store in itself, but hell to dig for what ya might need. I'm gonna dump it in the bottom shelf of the cart and use the top shelf for rolling around engine blocks, chunks, transmissions, anything heavy.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The other thing I preferred about this design is its capacity to contain itself, using a small space.

I think it'll be good. I was just curious if I made a decent suggestion for a stand, in consideration of how badly the stand sucks, I have currently.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
NASCAR buddy is building those in N.C. Just gave him weights for our stuff, steel and alum engines.
Complete CNC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Another good value I saw on Amazon is these 500 lb load capacity Rubbermaid composite commercial carts. I've been looking at these at Grainger for forever it seems for $300. I found one on the same part# on Amazon for $143.

I bought one of these about 20 years ago. It was my roll around service cart before those were the thing. It still looks brand new and rolls like it did the day we got it. It was about $100 back then.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:

I bought one of these about 20 years ago. It was my roll around service cart before those were the thing. It still looks brand new and rolls like it did the day we got it. It was about $100 back then.

Nice, I've been looking at em 2-3 years now, just didn't feel $300 was a good number. I think they're blowing these out, I noticed the newer model Rubbermaid carts have a higher push handle, new design.

Probably a leftover marked down.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:

Nice, I've been looking at em 2-3 years now, just didn't feel $300 was a good number. I think they're blowing these out, I noticed the newer model Rubbermaid carts have a higher push handle, new design.

Probably a leftover marked down.

Those plastic carts are so handy. I think I have 7 or 8 of them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other thing I preferred about this design is its capacity to contain itself, using a small space.

I think it'll be good. I was just curious if I made a decent suggestion for a stand, in consideration of how badly the stand sucks, I have currently.

I have always wanted at least one of those, but so far I have too thrifty to spend the funds. Mine are absolutely dangerous when rolling an all iron engine over, usually with a 4’ long pry bar as the rotator Blue Man .

I currently only have one store bought stand, the others are either cannibalized pieces from store bought units or ground up fab units so I could have a choice in heights (from new builds to simple freshen ups- huge difference in time spent bending over for detail work). Im fairly tall and it seems like all of the store bought units all designed for that 5’5” guy….if they would made a unit like that with the vertical upright adjustable for height, I may just splurge for one!

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
A friend has a geared engine stand that I’ve borrowed a couple times. He doesn’t own junk So I’m sure it was expensive, but I don’t know the brand. I’ve looked at buying the Eastwood unit, but it looks exactly like the Jegs model.

I’ve been eyeing up one of those poly carts to use for transmission building. My bench situation isn’t ideal for it. Thinking it might not be too bad if I put a couple locking casters on it.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I bought a similar stand of the Jegs one from Matco Tools 20 years ago. It has been flawless in durability and operation. Rotating effortlessly is a big plus for sure.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I have a geared head stand, the biggest issue is that the head is not removable, so it's harder to bolt the engine up to it. And also the one I have the engine is to low to comfortably work on.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I have a geared head stand, the biggest issue is that the head is not removable, so it's harder to bolt the engine up to it. And also the one I have the engine is to low to comfortably work on.

Typically I'm starting off with just a block, but this is a good reason to keep my old stand around because I am looking at buying a complete 454 out of a RV, so thanks for your input.

I have two people now, standing in line for the sequel to the 71 split bumper 454. Just had a family member who lives in Las Vegas with the discretionary money, tell me he's in the market for a 69 Camaro roller he's getting ready to pull the trigger on. He wants the twin engine to this.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
A friend has a geared engine stand that I’ve borrowed a couple times. He doesn’t own junk So I’m sure it was expensive, but I don’t know the brand. I’ve looked at buying the Eastwood unit, but it looks exactly like the Jegs model.

I’ve been eyeing up one of those poly carts to use for transmission building. My bench situation isn’t ideal for it. Thinking it might not be too bad if I put a couple locking casters on it.

The EASTWOOD crank engine stand is discontinued. I looked at that one as well.

It is identical to the Summit. Maybe produced in the same chinese factory, maybe not.

I'll show the difference in the Summit stand and the one I ordered in a few, with photo's.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Eastwood 1000 lbs $254.99 - Discontinued

Summit 1000 lbs $337.99

JEGS 1500 lbs $329.99

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They're probably all made in the same china factory.

At the least by the same blueprint. This is how these American companies that make and supply these products became factory-less.

They show up to a plug in slave labor rate china factory with a blueprint of what they want built, for 99% profit margins.

Americans are left to peddle the products part time minimum wage retail sales clerks and EBT cards.

Not at Summit or JEGS, but it is a good example of how it works for Home Depot who then funds BLM-ANTIFA to kick Archie Bunkers azz out of the White House.

Just say'n

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
And people wonder why drag racing is dying a slow death, along with every other hobby that takes discretionary money??

Not too bright.

Part time minimum wage retail sales clerks on EBT won't be drag racing, or sail boating, or any other hobby for that matter.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've been saying this on the internet, since I got on 2014.

It's like Lenin said, when asked what he would do with the communist sympathizers/conformists, when he was done with em.

Lenin said, I'll hang them with the same rope they sold us on credit.