DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MASON DIXON DRAGWAY
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MASON DIXON DRAGWAY
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Has anyone heard any rumors about Mason Dixon closing after this season, I heard from 2 different people this weekend that they had heard this was it they were done after this year.

Posts: 26 | Location: va | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I heard the same and sent Elmer a message on FB but didn't get a reply.

They actually had something printed on the timeslips.

Summit Racing Series
Mason Dixon Dragway - Final Season

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Tom, the tickets I have from this weekend don't say that BUT the tickets I have from 8/7 do... Eek

I race there every week and I heard some things too but you know how that is. I think the family that owns the land that the track is on is split between keeping it, and selling it. I had heard there was going to be a decision about that here in August. Like I said, heard....

I would think that if there was a definite closing decision Elmer and Cathy would have said something.

Just guess, but there probably isn't anything set in stone yet.

Sure hope something doesn't happen because Mason is the only track close enough for me to race at every week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: moparacer,

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are doing away with the Summit Series only.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Maybe they are doing away with the Summit Series only.

I heard that as a possibility too.

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
I think what is going on is the turn out is not what it used to be for the Summit points races. Fuel cost, lack of traction compound and weather forecast have played into it. Since he holds the SBRA finals I think he is just going to stick with that and not have the Summit points races. I gave up points a few years back and run the Q16 nite and a few brackets races, like labor day thats coming up. I'm an old 75-80 guy so I really enjoy the people at Mason Dixon.

Posts: 46 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Would be a shame to see that one go--I raced there for years. Sometimes would leave 75&80 and go over the mountain to race. Long long time ago used to have some good after race parties, cook outs (whole pig) music. Those were the good old days when it was still fun

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I sure hope it isn't closing. I love coming down for the SBRA weekend, look forward to it every year. I always have fun there, and am treated well.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Has anyone specifically asked Elmer about this and if the track is closing or not for 2023?

I haven’t been there in years and wouldn’t mind going back there again some next season.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I officially asked Cathy, Elmers wife awhile back and she said everything was up in the air. Hopefully still open with SBRA bracket points like Mitch said but
nothing definite. If I hear anything will update.

I will interrogate Cathy at the TNT Sunday. Big Grin

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Moparacer, if you're running SBRA next week, look me up in the Pro/No Box/Footbrake/Whatever they're calling it this year lanes, 523, yellow G body Cutlass in my avatar.

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Will do ChuckT! I will be the running for MD in Super Pro. You probably seen my car down there if you run SBRAs before. Its a Blue retro pained 68 Dart that says Playing for Keeps on the sides.

At this point I need to change it to Struggling to Survive.... Big Grin

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I am about positive I have. I might pop into the Super gamblers Friday and/or Saturday too.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well looks like there is a possibility of the Track being purchased and remaining open.

About the best we can hope for at this point.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Nice meeting you, Daryl. You were rolling pretty good Sunday. Coming to KRP this weekend? I might come down for the turkey race if friends are going.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Nice meeting you too Chuck! The right lane got me Sunday. Spun .03 off dialed up and spun .06 off. Pretty hard to turn win lights on like that.... Did any of you guys from PRP have trouble with the starting line? I have been struggling with that all year down there and been changing stuff on the car trying to get it better and can't.

I might try to make it up Saturday. I changed a bunch of stuff around on the car so I will need at least 1 time run, so Sunday is out.

Have they been keeping the track up pretty good?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Not that I heard from anyone. 2 of my buddies, with the 5.90s red Fox body, and the 3rd gen yellow Camaro in the 6.teens, are wheelie monsters, and had no problems.

There is a new entry time trial Sunday. Yes, it takes some time with the surface sometimes on days where street cars run, but the KRP crew preps a good track.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Couldn't make it up today.

Good luck if you are running Chuck!

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are joining the the new WDRA. Seems like a lot of tracks are leaving IHRA and NHRA and joining this group.

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
Maybe they are joining the the new WDRA. Seems like a lot of tracks are leaving IHRA and NHRA and joining this group.

Hasn't been any rumors or talk of that, that I know of.

Elmer has SBRA and the NHRA so unless he is dropping NHRA I doubt he joins the WDRA right now.