DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Roll bar padding questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roll bar padding questions
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
What is everyone using for roll bar padding? What is the difference between the $40 a stick SFI padding and the $4 a stick roll bar padding?

What about the custom pads, do they limit your head movement / vision much?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I replaced the padding in my quay bracketeer this year, used the padding from summit and used a heat gun to warm it up to conform to the cage and zip ties to hold it w/o the Velcro backing that never holds it to the bars. Meets the sfi requirements and so far all the tech guys were happy with it at 2 national and 3 divisional events.

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Did you use SFI padding?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was the summit 45.1 padding. 3 different thickness, and tube diameter if I remember. As long as its sfi, why pay extra for a brand name. I used the thick one on the overhead bars and a thinner one for bars by shoulders.

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Little off topic. I went with Garvin motorsports padding. About same as the ISP stuff but at 1/5 the cost and not a ton more than the cheap round stuff.

About 300 bucks and I had extra pad for behing and above head. IMO well worth few extra bucks for lot better stuff protecting my already very hard head.

Also used their seat insert kit.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I just put on some, let it set in the hot Texas sun for a while, then a heat gun and it worked great, I used SFI Jaz...
I tried some late last year, some off brand from a local shop, did not know the above and it snapped like a popsickle stick....The above would have helped but also think it was just old, on the shelf too long, really brittle....

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Don't know IHRA rules but NHRA requires SFI padding for cars 9.99 and faster

Posts: 235 | Location: Flanders,NJ USA | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
You have to see the difference between the $4 pool noodle padding and SFI padding. The $4 padding is just soft foam, the SFI stuff is hard foam.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post