Bracket Talk
T400 cross member alignment

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/4087008296

March 08, 2020, 04:24 PM
Ron Gusack
T400 cross member alignment
Factory BBC 70 Nova 4 speed car. Converted to a 400 trans with, I think, an oem cross member. Every time we install the trans, we have to pull the tailshaft toward the passenger side of the car to get the 7/16 cross member bolts to go in the trans mount. The car still has the original front subframe and when I measure inside to inside, with the cross member in, it measures about 1/2" out of center. Has anyone had this issue? Is there a line laser to put on the output shaft of the trans to see where it hits the yoke of the rear?
March 08, 2020, 06:29 PM
Lenny5160
You know, my '70 Nova had the same issue. I don't remember which way it needed to go, but the trans mount just didn't line up quite right.

I just elongated the holes in the crossmember so the bolts would go through comfortably. LOL!

Tony Leonard
March 09, 2020, 06:54 AM
HS professor
I've ran into this problem a few times before and there's really no obvious reason for it. Obviously it's a subframe/motor mount issues but which one or both ??
Interesting little fact ..... Big bocks in a 69 Camaro with a 4 speed did have a BB specific crossmember, not sure about Nova's.
March 09, 2020, 07:28 AM
SlyFox
Had the same issue with my 69 Chevelle. OEM build quality back in those days was sort of all over the place. You can leave the bolts loose where the cross member bolts to the frame, leave the bolts loose where the transmission mount bolts to the crossmember, and leave the bolts loose where the mount bolts to the transmission. Then you can let the transmission down off the jack to a resting position, and tighten all the bolts up wherever the transmission ultimately lands. Hope that makes sense - there's usually a little wiggle room everywhere things bolt up, and you can use that to your advantage.

Mike
March 09, 2020, 08:14 AM
ferndaleflyer
I have always had an "A" body and that exists there also. I have a always secured the trans to the cross member let it down and re-drilled the holes in the frame to match the cross member or vise versa. Done it this way for many years and once its aligned like that first time the holes always matched and never any vibration or other problems
March 09, 2020, 09:59 PM
Ron Gusack
Thanks for the replies. It helps to know that this is a fairly common issue. I like Fern's fix so I'll be drilling as soon as I get the trans back in. There's never been any issue with it but it's bothered me for 40 years. One side of the cross member is slotted and the other has holes. I hope I have enough material to slide it over and be able to drill new holes. Maybe an aftermarket cross member is in my future.
March 10, 2020, 09:17 AM
Tom R
My car is a small block with a glide and does this when I have the crossmember in backwards. All the holes are slotted but it goes in a lot harder when its back wards.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)
March 10, 2020, 10:18 AM
Ron Gusack
quote:
Originally posted by Tom R:
My car is a small block with a glide and does this when I have the crossmember in backwards. All the holes are slotted but it goes in a lot harder when its back wards.

That would fit my M.O. perfectly but I don't think backwards is possible. I think the front to back fitment would be off by a few inches minimum. Mine looks similar to this: https://www.ss396.com/nova/FCM...AEAQYBCABEgKprPD_BwE
March 10, 2020, 12:44 PM
Tom R
Yeah, I've never had a 400 in mine. Mine is like this below.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)
March 29, 2020, 05:03 PM
ROLLIN'
quote:
Originally posted by Tom R:
Yeah, I've never had a 400 in mine. Mine is like this below.

Tom & Ron,
You are both correct about the OEM cross members. Tom the one you have posted was original for PG's/T350s in 68-72 Nova's AND 67-69 Camaro's and the same applied to the one that Ron posted (pic) is for Turbo 400's in 68-72 Nova's AND 67-69 Camaro's. Both, had the same subframe ! I remember dealing with this 45 years ago with several of my 69 Camaro's over the years. I remember elongating the holes in the frame to make it easier.
March 29, 2020, 08:33 PM
Joe C
Check out the cross members made by Smith Racecraft. I have one in a '68 Camaro. They are light, and extremely well made with room for alignment.
March 30, 2020, 08:11 PM
23taltered
Weren't all those cars built with the drivetrain offset 1/2" It seems like I remember reading that somewhere. If you put solid motormounts in it, they would probably be centered.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv
March 31, 2020, 01:28 AM
https://smithracecraft.com/pro...ossmembers/turbo-400

1.34 9.42@ 142.41 1.29 5.97 @ 114.00 @ #3251 Better in 2022
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center, AFD, Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Trackside Products, Sepanek Racing T400, Dynamic converter, Autoweld, Santhuff, Smith Racecraft,
His real name is Richard but they call it "**** Fords Body Shop"
March 31, 2020, 01:29 AM
https://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32633

1.34 9.42@ 142.41 1.29 5.97 @ 114.00 @ #3251 Better in 2022
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center, AFD, Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Trackside Products, Sepanek Racing T400, Dynamic converter, Autoweld, Santhuff, Smith Racecraft,
His real name is Richard but they call it "**** Fords Body Shop"