DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    mickey thompson discontinues 3196?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mickey thompson discontinues 3196?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
just called to get a set of 3196 all saying discontinued and now there is a 3197?? hopefully new and improved?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
just called to get a set of 3196 all saying discontinued and now there is a 3197?? hopefully new and improved?

Mikey

They have been out for a while now. I haven't run them yet but will be getting a pair shortly. Can't stand still you know or....

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have been out for a while now

is that why nobody has them or has any info on them? lol
I guess they have a new L6 compound,my guess is to prevent the chunking that happened with the 3195 and 3196.?
nobody has them but mickey Thompson,all claiming its a BRAND NEW part number.
crazy difference in pricing as well,have to be drop shipped from mt

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Saw the 3197 in Vegas last month...could not tell a difference in appearance.

I have a new spare set of 3196 if they happened to have a major "gain" in value... Big Grin

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have a set of the 97's and so far they are flawless!

Other than the chunking issue and I think they actually improved that on the 95's last year, the 95 is about a good of a tire as I have ever seen! Yep, we have had a couple of sets chunk in 17 but never had a set chunk in 18!?!?

Lynn Ellison

Posts: 133 | Location: The Boat! | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 6th set of 95/96's never chunked one. 1/8th mile only.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of 3197 at the last D4 race, putting them on this week for the next D4 race in Tulsa. Buddy at the MT trailer says everything is the same as the 96 but they have changed the cure process. Said they beta tested them last year on some fast TD without any chunking or blistering at all. He did admit they were still seeing occasional chunking issues with the 96 with fast TD in the 1/4 mile, that is why they developed the 97. Told me my car was a death trap running the 95, told him I just ran 228 MPH and no blisters or chunking so they cant be that bad lol. I am taking them off with only 32 runs, there in perfect shape and just ran 3.82 on them this past weekend at the MWPMS TD race in Tulsa. My last set chunked at 31 runs last year. Just don't want to take any chances running the 1/4. Hope the car likes them

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Said they beta tested them last year on some fast TD without any chunkin

that's what I figured.the 3197 was developed to fix some issues the 3196 had.they are saying the 3196 is gone once inventory runs out.i just ordered a set,will let you know

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
3197 update, ran it for the first time this weekend at a 1/8 mile race, worked great, with a very soft tune it went 3.986 on 1st pass and 2nd pass went 3.988. car never missed a beat going right down the track smooth as ever, saw no difference at all from the 3195 I have been running. Pressure at 5.5 psi

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That would scare me enough to swap out as well. I wonder what is behind the drop.

Well, this was supposed to be in the oil thread. Whoops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6362 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Funny thing with this is I was told I was the only one that had the blistering problem ! Lol

Posts: 7 | Location: morton il | Registered: January 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Got a set of 3197’s ordered, but wondering if everyone is still soaping them. Thought I read a while back that M/T had worked on the leaking problem.

Posts: 4 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: June 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you run Mickeys Soap them unless you like your chassis on the ground.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CamaroSS02:
Got a set of 3197’s ordered, but wondering if everyone is still soaping them. Thought I read a while back that M/T had worked on the leaking problem.

If you have any question, why wouldn't you soap them?

I've soaped every set of slicks I've ever run. Most of them are radials which should never leak. Junior tires, all 3 major brands on the dragster. I soap them all.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
If you run Mickeys Soap them unless you like your chassis on the ground.

My last set of 3074 I did not soap and they do not leak.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Every M/T I have will be flat in 3-5 days with or without soap...3195 and 3196. Typically take a load of weight to balance as well...worth the headaches so far...

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Every set of M/T’s I’ve had go flat in a few days. Soap does nothing. It’s a minor annoyance. I like them in spite of the going flat problem. Some have needed a good amount of weights to balance but no big deal there either. Out on the track they make up for the other issues. They work all the time with zero problems.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of B-rad2416
posted Hide Post
If you line the yellow dot on the sidewall up with the valve stem, they will take less weight to balance. I have actually had a set that required no weight on one tire and very little on the other. Little bubbas though

Posts: 12 | Location: Loxahatchee, Fl | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you line the yellow dot on the sidewall up with the valve stem, they will take less weight to balance. I have actually had a set that required no weight on one tire and very little on the other. Little bubbas though

did that this weekend on 3195s,o weight needed on either tire

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Every set of M/T’s I’ve had go flat in a few days. Soap does nothing. It’s a minor annoyance. I like them in spite of the going flat problem. Some have needed a good amount of weights to balance but no big deal there either. Out on the track they make up for the other issues. They work all the time with zero problems.

Rich and others,

No idea why your tires go flat that fast, I have been using MT's for many years now, started with the 3186's and they were take offs for an 800+ cid TS car. I have never had a tire leak that bad!, not even close. I do soap the side walls. What I always see is when new they are very good, meaning hat over a 3 week period they may loose about 2 pounds max. At the end of their life that may happen in 2 weeks, but only 2 pounds. Worst case is when it gets cool/cold at night and they are old, then it takes about a week to loose 2 pounds.

I have used both bead lock and non bead lock wheels w/no rim screws. I have used the 3186, 96 and 96 tires and see no difference between all 3 regarding loss of air. This has been since 2010! So I'd do some deeper checking and I feel soap helps!

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post