DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    mickey thompson discontinues 3196?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mickey thompson discontinues 3196?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B-rad2416:
If you line the yellow dot on the sidewall up with the valve stem, they will take less weight to balance. I have actually had a set that required no weight on one tire and very little on the other. Little bubbas though

Sounds like a coincidence to me! But I do know MT mounts them that way so you can see if they are turning on the rim!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of B-rad2416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:

Sounds like a coincidence to me! But I do know MT mounts them that way so you can see if they are turning on the rim!

Actually not a coincidence.. Same holds true for every tire in the world. The dot is placed there by manufacturers to distinguish where the valve stem is supposed to go to require the least amount of weight to balance.

Posts: 12 | Location: Loxahatchee, Fl | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually not a coincidence..

I own a tire shop and do 50 to 80 tires a day...we always try and line the yellow dot up with the stem,but many tires these days do not even have an alignment dot.
me and my son spen a day mounting tires with the dot aligned with the stem and the 45 to 90 degrees opposite and 90 percent of the time it made no difference on the weight it took and other time the tire took less weight with the dot in other places.
that being said we have found its really not critical
my new mickey Thompson 3197 had no alignment dots at all

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
Actually not a coincidence..

my new mickey Thompson 3197 had no alignment dots at all

Mine had a white dot. How much weight did yours take?

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
one was 2.0 ounces the other was 5.0

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Thats allot less than mine took

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you line the yellow dot on the sidewall up with the valve stem, they will take less weight to balance. I have actually had a set that required no weight on one tire and very little on the other. Little bubbas though

did that this weekend on 3195s,o weight needed on either tire

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post