DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Converter?... Tighten it or leave it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converter?... Tighten it or leave it?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted
Old converter flashed to 5500, got new converter it flashes to 6400, shift at 6600. Ran car. It's faster. Change shift to 6800. Launch at 4600. Normally ran 6.18-6.20. Went 6.11. Should I leave it like it is or tighten it up. Doesn't seem to be quite as consistent now. But that was one race. Went 6.146,6.129,6.130,6.119,6.134. Feels like running high gear only it shifts so quick...lol

Posts: 36 | Location: rougemont,nc | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I would not make any changes to it after only 1 race. when you shifted at 6800 what did it fall back to? 6-700 RPM drop from the shift is usually the happy spot for consistency but also depends on your engines operating range for peak torque

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looser is almost always faster, raise the shift to 7K and see if it makes it more predictable. How much did it raise the RPM's at the stripe?

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
It fell back to 6400...at stripe it was 6800-6900... No data logger...just my eyeballs.

Posts: 36 | Location: rougemont,nc | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Leave it sounds like the car liked it

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jay giles:
It fell back to 6400...at stripe it was 6800-6900... No data logger...just my eyeballs.

Move the shift to 7000 and see how it likes it.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Leave it.
Get more data.
Might be a couple of hun high, maybe not.

Get a camera on the tach.
75 % of the TC in use are too tight, but nobody wants to try to change things, because it is too much work to pull a converter, and costs to make changes, but will buy another cam or heads.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to tighten it? If you think it lost consistency, why did it? My experience has been that a converter that is a tad too loose is generally more consistent even if not the fastest.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6381 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I would shift it later...possibly on time.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
Next time I'll shift at 7k...at the moment don't have equipment to shift on time.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
There always that old thing for shifting,hand. I know its not popular but it works. If married its probably stronger.LMAO

As for converter.Everyone tells me loose is better for Bracket car and if its consistent do not change it. Just what I hear.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bludog331
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Why do you want to tighten it? If you think it lost consistency, why did it? My experience has been that a converter that is a tad too loose is generally more consistent even if not the fastest.

What he said ... Right

Posts: 24 | Location: Cleveland, TN | Registered: December 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Here's a thought: I always order my TC on the loose side. If I go through the traps at 7500 rpm (too much for my bracket car) , I change out 4-6 qts of my trans fluid to hydraulic oil and that will tighten it up about 500 rpm. If that's too tight, I change out 3 qts of my "hybrid" trans fluid back to regular trans fluid and that will loosen it up 200 rpm or so, a lot easier than changing out the TC.

Posts: 2 | Location: warner robins ga | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
Ran it last night....first pass shifted at 7k...but didn't realize had 7k high side chip...so it hit it a little...ran 6.119. Changed chip..then ran 6.105,6.093,6.100(spun) then 6.092...think I'll leave it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jay giles:
Ran it last night....first pass shifted at 7k...but didn't realize had 7k high side chip...so it hit it a little...ran 6.119. Changed chip..then ran 6.105,6.093,6.100(spun) then 6.092...think I'll leave it.

I would too, good deal!

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
good decision,lol

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
That's great news!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a thought: I always order my TC on the loose side. If I go through the traps at 7500 rpm (too much for my bracket car) , I change out 4-6 qts of my trans fluid to hydraulic oil and that will tighten it up about 500 rpm. If that's too tight, I change out 3 qts of my "hybrid" trans fluid back to regular trans fluid and that will loosen it up 200 rpm or so, a lot easier than changing out the TC.

Really? I never seen nearly that much difference with 10wt Hydro oil.
We have a pretty loose converter now which works pretty good - but I'd really like to lower our top end RPMs about 200 was thinking a larger tire - but would have to make the room for them. Anyone else see much RPM change with hydraulic oil.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Hydraulic oil will tighten the flash point of the converter. Putting a larger tire on it generally wont help finish line rpm as the converter will show more slip.

Typically we like a loose converter for bracket racing. You will give up a lil et sometimes but the consistency is worth it.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hydraulic oil will tighten the flash point of the converter. Putting a larger tire on it generally wont help finish line rpm as the converter will show more slip.

interesting will the heavier oil lower the down track much or mainly the flash?

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post