DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Motor kick back when trying to start!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motor kick back when trying to start!!!
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed & Trip Nic
Although retarding the timing for start using this method isn't a bad idea, then why do some say using a start retard via the MDS box claim it made it worse? As Trip Nic noted the MDS needs a reference point before it can set the retard but I don't think this is the issue. I feel 99% of start issues is due to other issues that make themselves visible here such as low voltage to the starter during cranking, improper rotor phasing, carb setups among others. When all is good I have never seen starting with full advance to be an issue. Since switching to a crank trigger moons ago, I have only had this issue once and it was due to the MDS distributor slip collar loosening up a bit and allowing the distributor to rotate and cause the rotor to get too far out of phase. Fix this by drilling a small hole in the housing that the set screw would sink into and some blue Loctite.

Rotor phasing using any type of ignition retard such as start and or NOS is not an issue, set the rotor to fire on the front side of the cap terminal and the retard just moves it a bit closer to the midpoint. I will say if anyone is using the old crab distributor cap, your asking for trouble using any retard! It's just too small diameter wise so it's to easy for spark to jump.

Just food for thought.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I didn't see that this has been said but I had the exact same problem with my 555 and it ended up being the mag pickup wires too close to the coil wires and cross firing at start up. Start retard made it worse! Haven't had an issue since with no retard at all and locked out timing.
Good luck!

Posts: 11 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I learned the start retard was bad years ago. After killing multiple Flexplates and Starter Spragues I unhooked it.
The only time I ever have kickback is a lean start.

I have a question though on the red 7AL3's. I've had mine for 20 years and haven't noticed any issues. Of course I might see a difference by updating to something newer. I remember people talking about them over the years. Weren't there certain years that the so called bad ones came out. Thanks

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
The ones that were the Bad MSD box are p/n #7320 and are Red. The updated box is Black p/n #7330 and came out in 2013. If you got a Red box i would up grade to the Black one and keep the other box as a spare. That is what i just did after a lot of trouble with my Red box.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Put a Meziere 10 pitch starter and flex plate on it and be done

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You know if there’s an ignition issue changing the flexplate and started doesn’t fix the ignition issue.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had this all year. Checked my rotor phase and was way off. Don't know if it was always like that, but raced for years with no problem. I put the adjustable rotor on and now it starts

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post