DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dragster battery
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dragster battery
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
From what I have seen lithium batterie issues are a thing of the past. When they first came to the racing scene there were a few fires for sure. Most now are Lithium iron phosphate cells now which are much more stable and safe. However they all have different max charging voltage/rates. Each lithium battery requires its specific lithium charger. They all seem to have different maximum tolerable voltage numbers that seem to vary between 17.9-18.6 volts depending on the manufacturer. I have a Lithium Pro in my TS car and it has a max voltage of 18.3, while the Go lithium in the dragster is 17.9. So using the correct charger is kind of a must, raising the costs.

Al, I'm going to believe that Gray had the right charger and I've got a hunch he wasn't concern with raising the cost yet his Pro Stock car still burnt up.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As I said battery technology has come a long way as well. Remember when you could not take certain phones on a plane because their lithium batteries would spontaneously combust? Technology changes, things improve, battery technology goes forward. But if you are scared of a lithium battery then don't use one, that simple.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 983 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Blue Man

Again, 7 months ago I saw a lithium battery on fire in a T/S car with my own eyes. Technology didn't move at warp speed in 7 months!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
And there are MANY out there that have no issues. But I agree some have caught fire, the two I personally know of were both being charged with the wrong charger. But I hear ya. Kinda like this whole covid thing. Some folks are scared to leave there house for fear of dying and others are living life as always, I am in the latter group. But my wife has been in medicine for 35 years, so theres that. When can we go racing!!!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 983 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted Hide Post
Cashflow, I am curious about your comment about the "useless East Coast Ultra Mini alternator". I ask because I just installed one on my dragster. I have not started it yet (doing needed updates) so I don't know what it will charge. I have a XS D1600 16 volt battery and of course the alternator is 16 volts. I have never run the dragster with an alternator before and this is the only one that will fit in my car.
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
IMHO, don't waste your money buying the big charger to go with your 16 volt battery. Buy the Autometer Maintainer instead. That will save you several hundred dollars.

I bought a voltage step down box from JR Baxter and the only thing it is attached to is my water pump. The remote water pump was cavitating on 16 volts.

Otherwise no changes. Like I said this is my eighth season on this battery. It stays on the maintainer all the time. I have one of those useless East Coast Ultra Mini alternators on the car but my Racepak numbers look a little different than everyone else.

This works for me. YMMV

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
2nd weekend on go lithiums...Hunter and I have them in both cars.

Behave very well.so far and charge fast on a 15amp charger for it.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ive been on lithium’s for a long time now with zero issues

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mr. Smith,

I was just razzing Ed with that comment. My "useless" Ultra Mini seems to charge just fine. The Racepak shows everything seems to be working as it should.

I don't know about everyone else's program but I have been using the Autometer 16 volt maintainer (the old style) on my XS D-1600 battery since day one and it stays on there all the time. Well, except at the races.

I only put it on if we have a really long down time and I will put it on at the end of the day, usually before we go to dinner. I virtually never use my big XS charger. For the record this is the eighth season on this battery. I was going to replace it right after we got started but since the season is delayed I have not.

I will more than likely replace it after this year if it doesn't die before the season is over.

Well, back to re-wiring the car. Man, I'm old and slow and it's a pain in the butt! If I get it finished I might try to make the Abilene race next weekend.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
A Lithium Pro battery was in Dave Connelly's/Gray's pro stock car a few years that started fire at a national event.

NO THANKS!

There will never be a lithium battery in my cars as they have proven to be unstable in planes, race cars, phones, computers, hoover boards, etc.

When the big 3 install them as standard equipment in all their passenger cars and trucks, maybe then I'll change my mind.

Dont care what they did or happened with them, we do not know the history behind what they did with it. The post was asking about batteries thats what I use and have had great luck and highly recommend to anyone looking

Posts: 154 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, I'll restate my "useless"comment regarding the Ultra Mini alternator". If your desire is consistent voltage going down track, this alternator will maintain voltage but if you want you want to charge your battery going down track while providing consistent voltage, then the ultra mini is useless.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Vern, I'll restate my "useless"comment regarding the Ultra Mini alternator". If your desire is consistent voltage going down track, this alternator will maintain voltage but if you want you want to charge your battery going down track while providing consistent voltage, then the ultra mini is useless.

Agree a ultra will just help going down track and isnt even recommended on car with electric fuel pumps. WILL NOT CHARGE IT

Posts: 154 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I told them Vince, some refuse to believe.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320 racer*

Where did you get your concorde batteries from?

Posts: 203 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
based upon what I'm seeing the rock 1257 battery is 269.99 and is the same as the concorde rg-35axc is 359.99. Am I looking at the correct comparison?

Posts: 203 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No, the Rock 1257 is the Concorde RG-25, $259.99 If you want/need 150 additional cranking amps then you want the RG-25XC $308.00 which is from their Platinum Series Line and what I just installed.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
based upon the rock website the rg-25 is the same as the 1236 battery. The 1257 shows to be a bigger battery. Do you have the specs on the rg-25?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My mistake, the Rock 1236 and the Total Power TP1200 are the Concorde RG-25. I have not look up Concorde's part # for rock's 1257

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the dimensions on the Rock website. The 1236 has a length of 7.625 which is the same as the rg-25 and the tp-1200. The rock 1257 has a length of 9.75 which is the same as the rg-35 and the tp1500. What is the length of the battery you bought?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
7.71" per Concorde

http://concordebattery.com/pdfs/RG-25XC.pdf

which is the same dimensions as the RG-25 which is Rock Batteries 1236