DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Two Step really loud....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Step really loud....
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted
I am leaving off the button this year for the first time ever...when I go on the two step my engine makes pop and crack sounds that are very, very loud...much louder than anyone else's I have ever heard...

This is all new to me but is this normal?...folks in the stands have commented how loud it is...do I have an issue?...

Thanks..

p.s. I have an FTI glide, converter and sportsman t-brake...my motor is a pump gas 496...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Exhaust exit under the car or out the side?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Considering everything is in order. What box are you using? The MSD soft touch control is quieter and alternates cylinders. Compared to earlier MSD
Non Soft. where as it hammers the same clyinders on the 2 step.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
http://www.biondoracing.com/ca...g-line-controls.html

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Exhaust exit under the car or out the side?

Under the car with full mufflers...the exhaust goes about halfway back with turn downs...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Considering everything is in order. What box are you using? The MSD soft touch control is quieter and alternates cylinders. Compared to earlier MSD
Non Soft. where as it hammers the same clyinders on the 2 step.

No delay box unless you mean my MSD 6AL2...I set the two step on that...I'm a bottom bulb guy for now...

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Read what Reher-Morrision has to say about burn outs and rev limiters, you should consider using a starting line enhancer for staging, and save some damage to your engine. http://rehermorrison.com/tech-...abusing-your-engine/

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the 6 al is noisy on 2 step,for reasons stated above

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I switched to the 6AL Programmable simply for the digital rev limiting characteristics of it over the 6T boxes I had been running for years. It is so much smoother on the chip. I only use it on the starting line, not the burnout.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have a 6AL in my Nova and it isn't particularly violent, but the Digital 7 in my dragster is definitely smoother.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes the 6AL is loud.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if memory serves,the lower you have the rpm set the worse it is

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by topfuel:
Read what Reher-Morrision has to say about burn outs and rev limiters, you should consider using a starting line enhancer for staging, and save some damage to your engine. http://rehermorrison.com/tech-...abusing-your-engine/

He mentions burnouts in the article. But point taken.
I can't think that any starting line enhancer will give as consistent rt's and 60' time as a digital rev limiter.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
if memory serves,the lower you have the rpm set the worse it is

I agree with this.

When I use 2-step at a lower rpm (less than 3500 rpm) I retard timing at the same time that improves how the engine runs during this period. It makes the engine feel smoother doing this.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
He mentions burnouts in the article. But point taken.
I can't think that any starting line enhancer will give as consistent rt's and 60' time as a digital rev limiter.

I may not have been clear in my response. I was trying to say use the SLE to bring the engine up on the converter, and the RPM limiter for the shortest time possible.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What RPM are you leaving at?

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue on my old car. Turned out it was low voltage at the ignition box. Found a wire issue and it sounded smooth as glass afterwards.

Check the voltage at the box while on the chip.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
What RPM are you leaving at?

3200 right now...that may be it, I guess...

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
I had the same issue on my old car. Turned out it was low voltage at the ignition box. Found a wire issue and it sounded smooth as glass afterwards.

Check the voltage at the box while on the chip.

Will do and thanks...