DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rack and pinion question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rack and pinion question
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted
My dads car has a smith racecraft rack setup.in his 69 camaro. Its been great since installed .
After his time run today, he noticed the steering wheel was off center while coming back the return rd. Car seems.to.steer ok, but something.had to change. We checked the rack mounting points and all seems.good. the only other time this happened is when one of the mounts broke, and we caught it before anything bad happened. Im thinking something in the rack is.going south. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the splines on the shaft are worn and steering u joint slip one spline? My old car had a bolt all the way through but new car just has a set screw.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I also had a bearing go bad on the pinion but when that happened I got a lot of play in the steering wheel. It is pretty easy to tear apart and inspect it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Good thought. I'll check that when i start on it later today.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Did you find anything?

DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Not yet, everything is tight, steering is sensitive and responsive. Going to check the alignment and see what it looks like.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem on my 72 Nova years ago. Car would leave a few inches in the air and when it came down the steering wheel was crooked. Next run it would go to another position and just kept getting worse as the day went on.

The 4 bolts has loosened up holding the front subframe in the car. Everything else was tight and where it was supposed to be.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
also something else to look at is the rear if you have something going bad in the back the car will dog track. hense the reason the center steering is off

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post